Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
trustblomme
Influencer
Liked: 3 times

Backup to disk Retention VS Backup to tape Retention

Post by trustblomme »

Hello,

we have currently this setup:

Backup to disk -> 25 retention points
Backup to tape -> 3 weeks of tapes (Full VBK to tape in weekend, during week INC to tape).

After 3 weeks VEEAM tries to put the oldest backups again on tape because the tape media has been recycled.

After checking with support you have to configure the jobs so that disk retentions is always smaller than tape retention.

Only solutions is to invenst in more tapes so we can have 6 weeks on tape (30 retention points) vs 5 weeks on disk (25 retention points).

Wich backupsheme's are you using? Am I missing something of is this really by design? Setup VEEAM with Backupexec allows this without any problem?

Thanks,

Steven
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Backup to disk Retention VS Backup to tape Retention

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Steven,
Am I missing something of is this really by design?
This is by design, and currently it is recommended practice. Once media set is erased, all information about the backup on this media set is erased as well, so backup to tape job have to place all data to tape from scratch.
Wich backupsheme's are you using?
General practice would be to have short retention for backup to disk and long retention for tape archives, because media storage is far cheaper than disk storage. For example: 2 weeks of disk backups and 1 month of tape backup seems to be most common retention.
Setup VEEAM with Backupexec allows this without any problem?
Could you elaborate this one, please?

Thank you.
trustblomme
Influencer
Liked: 3 times

Re: Backup to disk Retention VS Backup to tape Retention

Post by trustblomme »

Thanks for the feedback.

Support told me there will be a patch to disable this tape protection in certain cases.

I will not install BE and retry the tape config.

Thanks,

Steven