Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
ShawnKPERS
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Shawn Nix

Schedule "As new backup files appear" for tape

Post by ShawnKPERS »

I saw this feature and thought it might be a great way to dump backups as they finish to tape and not have to wait on the other backups to finish if you running may jobs at the same time. Is this this case?

For instance if I do a "weekly" full backup on all my servers 12:01 AM Saturday morning and I group my servers into six different jobs that backup to a "Weekly Repository" and have all six jobs start at 12:01 can I then create a tape job that will continually look at that repository all Saturday and whenever one of the jobs finish the tape job will see it and automatically start backing up the files related to that job even if some or all of the other 5 jobs are still backing up to the "Weekly Repository"? If so then the logic would be that as each job finishes it would automatically kick off the tape job and if the tape job is already backing up one of the other jobs to tape it will then pick up the new files and dump them to tape once it finishes the job it is currently running?

Am I correct in this assumption?
ShawnKPERS
Enthusiast

Re: Schedule "As new backup files appear" for tape

Post by ShawnKPERS »

Also I forgot to ask but lets say this is all true, is there a way to force this all to run on a single tape drive so it will all go to one tape as long as there is enough room on it? I am currently testing Veeam to tape on our test tape library and it only has one tape drive in it but our production tape library has two drives and I have not seen an option on how to tell veeam to handle multiple drives. Is it that these settings will show up as soon as Veeam sees a second drive?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2249 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Yep, with the "As new backup files appear" the backup tape job will sit in "idle" state, waiting for new backup restore points to come. If the several jobs are selected as a source of backup to tape job, once the first restore point is created, the backup to tape job will start to transfer it to tape medias, while the other restore points will be placed in queue.

Whether the other restore points will be written to a current tape or to a new one depends on media set settings of corresponding media pool. If you want to write to one tape, till it's full, then, select "Always continue current mediaset" option.

As to usage of two different drives at the same time, you should create two different backup to tape jobs and point them to two different media pool (created per drive), as currently it's not possible to utilize simultaneously two different drives within one media pool.

Thanks.
ShawnKPERS
Enthusiast

Post by ShawnKPERS »

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2249 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You're welcome. Feel free to ask, if any additional help be needed. Thanks.