Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
FCOLAS
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: FCOLAS

Vhba VEEAM 7 HYPER-V 3

Post by FCOLAS »

Is VEEAM 7 support Virtual HBA with Hyper-V 3 ?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Vhba VEEAM 7 HYPER-V 3

Post by foggy »

In fact, v7 will not add anything in terms of Virtual HBA support. You can backup VM with Virtual HBA today, however, it will be removed from VM config on restore or during VM replication. (Probably it will be left in case of restore to original location, need to check though.)
piotros
Lurker
Full Name: Pierre

[MERGED] How to Backup virtual failover cluster with all dis

Post by piotros »

Hi,

We have a 2 node HyperV 2012 failover cluster. On that failover cluster, we enabled the virtual HBA feature. On that cluster, we host 2 VM in W2K12 with SQL 2012 in failover cluster mode. Each SQL instances data and log files are stored on different LUNs directly attached from our 3PAR SAN to SQL VM through vHBA.
The SQL cluster is backuped through VEEAM but we figured that those "vLUN" are not backuped, only system disk is saved through VEEAM.

Is there a way to backup that kind of disk ?
I opend a case refereced as 00478834

Thanks in advance for your help.
BR,
Piotr
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Pierre, please see the response above. LUNs attached via virtual HBA adapters are not backed up and are automatically skipped during VM processing. However, vHBA should be preserved on restore if VM has the same VM ID (restore to original location). If VM with vHBA is replicated, adapter is removed from VM config, however will be preserved on subsequent runs if you add it to replica VM manually after initial replication.
tsmals
Lurker
Full Name: Tim Smals

[MERGED] Backup Virtual Fibre Channel Disks

Post by tsmals »

We are planning to migrate our physical file servers to Virtual Hyper-V VM's.
I created 2 VM's (Server 2012 R2) and implemented a Virtual Fibre Channel connection to out HP EVA SAN.
A new File Server CLuster is made.

All tests are above expectation; performance, high availability, flexibility.

Only problem is ... We would like to use Veeam B&R to backup the virtual file servers.

When I backup the new file server only the system-disk is backed up. I know passthrough disks are not supported but was hoping Veeam could work with Virtual Fibre Channel disks...

Is there any way we could preserve our vFC solution and still use Veeam to backup the data?
Raihan
Lurker
Full Name: Raihan

Post by Raihan »

I was expecting Veeam could improve their supportability in regards to physical disk, vHBA or HBA... but Veeam is determined to be underdog in back and replication game. It's a shame that Veeam can't backup disk connected via vHBA. I raised a ticket and poor customer support engineer who can't explain what Veeam can and can't do. Bounce of fool working in Veeam. You should sell Veeam to Africa.
I am sure forum moderator who is reading my post understand my frustration.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

While your frustration can be totally accepted, the lack of respect in your post is not welcomed here. If you're not satisfied with the level of support you were provided, you can escalate the case to the support management team (using the Talk to a Manager button on the customer support portal).

As to the vHBA disks, they are not virtual disks and cannot be even snapshotted (think pRDM in VMware) and thus automatically skipped by the backup job.