Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
FelixJ
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Felix Joussein

Mark any unrecognized media free and move to MediaPool

Post by FelixJ »

Hi everyone,

we don't have a tape-library, just a single LTO5 Drive.
Currently I have to mark manually any unrecognized tape free and then move it to a specific mediapool MP1 so that my Backup to Tape Job, which is scheduled to run anytime new Backup to Disk files arrive, will start.
As I understand, I first have to mark the loaded, unrecognized tape as free (in Terms of PS move to the MediaPool free) and from there move it to my MediaPool MP1 which is linked to my Backup to Tape Job.

Is there a way to make this automatically?

I have already tried using Windows Powershell, however I was not successful, here's what I got so far:

Code: Select all

Get-VBRTapeMedium -Unrecognized | Format-Wide -Property Name > temp1.txt
get-content temp1.txt | Where-Object { $_.Trim() -ne ''} > temp2.txt
$myTape=(get-content temp2.txt)

Move-VBRTapeMedium -Medium $myTape -MediaPool Free
Move-VBRTapeMedium : Der Parameter "Medium" kann nicht gebunden werden. Der Wert "Tape 6
                                                                                  " vom Typ "System.String" kann nicht in den Typ "Veeam.Tape.Core.TapeMedium" konvertiert werden. 
Bei Zeile:1 Zeichen:27
+ Move-VBRTapeMedium -Medium <<<<  $myTape -MediaPool Free
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Move-VBRTapeMedium], ParameterBindingException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CannotConvertArgumentNoMessage,Veeam.Backup.PowerShell.Command.MoveVBRTapeMedium
However I am not familiar with PS scripting and I assume, there are better ways to get the currently loaded tape and pipe that to the move-vbrtapemedium cmdlet...
So I'd appreciate any help I can get.

thank's,

regards,

Felix
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Mark any unrecognized media free and move to MediaPool

Post by veremin »

Hi, Felix,

When new tape is loaded in your tape device for the first time, this tape is categorized as "Unrecognized". In order to identify unrecognized tapes you need to run tape inventory job against them. The proper way how this process can be automated via PS can be found here.

Thanks.