Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
zoltank
Expert
Liked: 41 times

Backing up dedupped Windows 2012 server?

Post by zoltank »

I'd like to get a better handle on how a dedupped Windows 2012 volume acts through the backup chain.

Say I have a 2012 VM with 100gb of data which has been dedupped down to 10gb.

When I back up that VM via Veeam am I only going to be backing up 10gb of data? Since Veeam doesn't care what's in the VM itself it seems like it would. However, at that point, can Veeam still restore guest files from that VM?

I now have that 10gb backup sitting in my repository. How much space will it be taking up there? Since the data is already dedupped I would think Veeam would be able to dedup it again and will also have issues compressing it, and as a result it would take up more repository storage than a 10gb non-dedupped VM.

When I dump that .VBK file to tape, since neither Veeam's host system nor Backup Exec (or whatever software is being used) cares what's in the 10gb VBK file created from backing up that VM, I'll only be putting 10gb of data on the tape?

On a related note:
If I implement a Windows 2012 VM with a dedupped volume for file storage, will I only be reducing my storage utilization on my SAN, or will it reduce it on my SAN, my Veeam repository, and my tapes?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backing up dedupped Windows 2012 server?

Post by veremin »

When I back up that VM via Veeam am I only going to be backing up 10gb of data?
No, as deduplication feature works inside the guest, meanwhile, Veeam works on virtual disk level. However, having deduplication feature enable inside the guest affects seriously amount of changed blocks, so,you can expect large incements of this VM.

Thanks.
zoltank
Expert
Liked: 41 times

Post by zoltank »

Roughly how big of a change would we be looking at?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

It seems to be unpredictable thing. Only actual tests are likely to give approximate numbers. Thanks.