Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
shipatsea
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Karl Kendrick

I thought a backup copy job will pick up where it left off..

Post by shipatsea »

I recently implemented veeam v 7 and set up a backup copy job. This is happening over gig ethernet on our local network. I wanted to finish the initial backup copy before moving this server to our colo facility.

I have roughly 15TB of data to move and have 4 rather large VM's ranging from 1-2TB each. The smaller VM's copy with no issue but the large servers seem to time out due to a network bottleneck. As soon as the job fails it starts over again as I have it set to continuous for now.

I noticed that when it starts back up and starts copying the same server it takes the same amount of time to churn through the data that should already be copied over. It does not appear to be starting where it left off. Is this the case? Does it have to copy over in it's entirety the first time before it just copies changes?

I just updated both veeam servers with the latest R2 patch and still have the same issue.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: I thought a backup copy job will pick up where it left o

Post by Gostev »

You must be thinking about WAN accelerated processing mode.

Yes, this is the case for the direct copy mode. Yes, the entire copy must be performed, and consistent full restore point must be created on target before incremental changes only runs can be performed. Timeouts due to a network bottleneck are not normal though, especially on 1 Gb network. I haven't seen anything like that even on 10 Mbps pipe...
shipatsea
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Karl Kendrick

Re: I thought a backup copy job will pick up where it left o

Post by shipatsea »

Thanks for answering that!

I'll talk with our network guy to help me sus out the bottleneck on our LAN. Thanks for your help