Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
BPDZenith
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Gordon Harwood

Locating primary database file sharepoint 2010

Post by BPDZenith »

hi all i am trying to locate the primary database file for sharepoint 2010 for veeam explorer for sharepoint and i am struggling to find it, the system was implemented before my arrival at the business, but can anyone point me in the direction of where it could be. cheers
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Locating primary database file sharepoint 2010

Post by foggy »

Gordon, do you mean you are trying to browse for database file in Veeam Explorer for SharePoint, after mounting the VM restore point? Have you tried to search for *.mdf under C:\VeeamFLR folder (where the VM disks are mounted)? On one of my test VMs I have databases located under Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\14.0\Data\MSSQL10.SHAREPOINT\MSSQL\DATA (should be default location for database files).

Also, I would note that if SharePoint information was correctly gathered during VM backup, the database should be opened automatically in Veeam Explorer for SharePoint when you right-click the VM under Backups > Disk node and select to restore SharePoint items.
BPDZenith
Novice

Post by BPDZenith »

ahh right so i need to run a backup first on the system, create the restore point, then i can load that in the SharePoint explorer? i am just getting up to speed on this software, also the sharepoint is in use across my network, there are no issues will running a backup while the system is deployed and in use is there?

cheers
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

BPDZenith wrote:ahh right so i need to run a backup first on the system, create the restore point, then i can load that in the SharePoint explorer?
Actually, you can open and browse any SharePoint 2010 database file, not necessarily backed up by Veeam B&R. I was just thinking about the backup&restore scenario. What is your use case with this tool, what you're trying to achieve?
BPDZenith wrote:i am just getting up to speed on this software, also the sharepoint is in use across my network, there are no issues will running a backup while the system is deployed and in use is there?
There could be some performance impact at the moments of snapshot creation and removal during backup (the latter can cause some short period of inactivity due to the required stun to commit snapshot data).
BPDZenith
Novice

Post by BPDZenith »

Perhaps I don't even need to use the tool it was just for improved manageability, the goal at the moment is to have a solid backup system in-place for our sharepoint database, then upload that backups to the cloud on Amazon S3 for safe keeping in-case of a total system failure
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

This tool is mostly designed for SharePoint item-level restores, let's hope you will not need to use it, but at least you know that it is always handy.