Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
neo_italy
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Luix

Best setup for wan replication

Post by neo_italy »

I need to backup over wan some Virtual Machine. The question is: where is the right place to install veeam backup, on the protected site?..... mapping a network shared drive to the DR site which will be the repo for the data....consider that i've a 4 mbit syncrhonus bandwith availale
....or i've to install the veeam backup on the DR site accessing the ESX protected over wan to make the backup?

Many Thanks
Luix
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Re: Best setup for wan replication

Post by Gostev »

Luix, we have a number of existing thread discussing when it is best to place Veeam on source and when on target. In short, there is no universal recipe, as it depends on multiple factors:
- ESX 3 or ESX 4
- ESX or ESXi (source, target)
- job processing mode used
- backup or replication (your question is confusing here, because you cannot replicate to a shared drive)
neo_italy
Influencer

Post by neo_italy »

Ok, sorry for the confusing, i'm just testing for the first time the product.
Let me ask if i make a backup using veeam installed in a VM on the protected site, if i can't use a network shared drive: how can i transfer the data to the DR site?...i've already checked the other threads on the argument, but ar not really clear about this aspect.
The scneario is the following:
- 3 server ESX 4 on the protected site
- 1 server ESX 3.5 on the DR site

Thanks for your help
Luix
neo_italy
Influencer

Post by neo_italy »

ok i've re-read you post, you say that i can't use a network shared drive for replication, because replication is used for placing VM directly in a vmfs volume.....
if is right for the backup i can map a network drive on the DR site, may be a correct choice?

Another question: can i restore VM with virtual hardware 7 on ESX 3.5? Veeam can convert the VM?

Thanks
vbussiro
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Post by vbussiro »

If the purpose is to be able to start your VM directly on the DR site, you must use replication (no network shared drive) and upgrade your esx 3.5 to esx 4, otherwise vm will be replicated but unable to start.
Veeam backup should be installed in the primary site, but you could install another one in the DR for faster file level recovery (don't need additional licence).
neo_italy
Influencer

Post by neo_italy »

Hi,
thanks for your reply, i can't update the release of Vmware on the DR site, because the machine dedicated to DR is an old IBM x445, only 32bit.
Is there a way to convert the virtual machine with virtual hardware 7 backupped by veeam to virtual hardware 4 supported by vmware 3.5 on recovery site?

Many Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

No, it is not possible to convert VM's HW version during the replication.