Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
KMcGarvey
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Kevin McGarvey

MHVTL Virtual Tape Library

Post by KMcGarvey »

Hello,

I'm doing some development work using Veeam v7 Patch 1 installed on a Windows 2012 Server connected via iSCSI to a mhvtl Virtual Tape Library. I've configured mhvtl using various emulations of Tape Library and Drive, however, Veeam has only been able to detect the Tape Drives as Standalone units, it does not detect the Tape Library.

Has anyone had any success in this scenario and if you have, what Tape Library/Drive combination did you use? I've read that Veeam requires the correct Tape Library driver to be installed in Device Manager, however, some emulations are detected correctly but the Tape Drives remain as Standalone.

Any help is appreciated.

Kev
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: MHVTL Virtual Tape Library

Post by veremin »

Hi, Kevin.

As long as the both appliances (library, driver) are shown properly in Device Manager, VB&R should reflect them correctly under corresponding node “Tape -> Library ->Drives”. So, can you confirm it or post a screenshots of both Veeam tape node and Device Manager one?

As to the drivers, Windows ordinary drivers, not vendor-specific ones, are required.

Thanks.
KMcGarvey
Novice

Post by KMcGarvey »

Hi. hopefully you'll be able to see the screenshots below:

veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Based on the provided screenshots, everything seems to be fine. Also, this tape device has been already been verified as the working one, so you should not be facing any issues.

Thus, I’d suggest that you open a ticket with our support team and let them investigate this behavior directly.

Thanks.
KMcGarvey
Novice

Post by KMcGarvey »

Will do, many thanks.

Kev
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You’re welcome. Please, post here your ticket number, once assigned, so that we can follow the case. Thanks.
KMcGarvey
Novice

Post by KMcGarvey »

Ticket Number 00462581
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Thank you. Let’s wait and see what support team says about this issue.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler » 1 person likes this post

I would suggest configuring something like the HP MSL and some newer tape drives. Also, you'll need to make sure that the library config has the proper serial number information for the drives. I've used Veeam v7 with MHVTL extensively so I know that it works fine with an MSL2024 and LTO5 drives with current HP drivers.
KMcGarvey
Novice

Post by KMcGarvey » 1 person likes this post

Many thanks, I'm not sure how I missed it!

I added the MSL G3 Series Library as I wasn't sure how to specify the MSL2024 as you suggest, and LTO 5 Drivers, installed the HP Drivers and voila! Does it matter that I've plumbed for the MSL G3 or should I manually configure for a MSL2024?

Regards
aleks y
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Aleks Y

Post by aleks y »

Just Extract drivers to some folder, then go to W2K8R2-x64 (I did this on my 2012) and right click -> Install on every INF file!
After this I see changer and 2 ultrium drives in dev manager. Just have to check how it works.
BTW, have you connected mhvtl iSCSI target in your server?
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

I think that MSL G3 just means "Generation 3" of the MSL series so you should be in good shape.
KMcGarvey
Novice

Post by KMcGarvey »

I am indeed in good shape! Many thanks all.

Best regards

Kev
ccatlett1984
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Chris Catlett

Post by ccatlett1984 »

I have the library setup properly and veeam can see both the library as well as the drive I have created. It sees the tapes, but fails on inventorying them. with the error "The parameter is incorrect" Tape read error.
Any ideas?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

I believe support team has already seen similar cases. So, it stands to reason to contact them in order to get this issue solved. Thanks.
ccatlett1984
Enthusiast

Post by ccatlett1984 »

Thanks, I'll update the thread with the ticket number once I get one opened.

EDIT: Case ID 00483464
ccatlett1984
Enthusiast

Post by ccatlett1984 »

I have a case open: 00483464

I am using QuadStor (mhvtl) to emulate a HP MSL 6000 with a HP StorageWorks Ultrium 1840 drive.
I had to implement the registry key to bind the drive to the library.

Now my only existing issue, is that I receive an error when trying to inventory tapes:
"The parameter is incorrect" Tape read error.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Chris, please continue to work with support team, I believe, they already got solution for "The parameter is incorrect" error as well. Thank you.
ccatlett1984
Enthusiast

Post by ccatlett1984 » 2 people like this post

So after working with the MHVTL Dev's all afternonn (They are amazing btw.) we figured out that Veeam does not seem to like the 256K blocksize that MHVTL defaults to, changing it to 64K allowed the tapes to be inventoried and the backup to tape job is now running.

To change the block size, you need the "mt-st" package installed on the Linux box running mhvtl, you then run the following command (substituting the number if you have more than one virtual tape drive):
If you only have on drive run this:
mt -f /dev/st0 defblksize 65536

For Each additional drive, run the following incrementing the number:
mt -f /dev/st1 defblksize 65536
mt -f /dev/st2 defblksize 65536
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Chris,
Thank you for posting resolution to this thread! I am glad you are up and running now.
ccatlett1984
Enthusiast

Post by ccatlett1984 »

ccatlett1984 wrote:So after working with the QuadStor Dev's all afternonn (They are amazing btw.) we figured out that Veeam does not seem to like the 256K blocksize that QuadStor defaults to, changing it to 64K allowed the tapes to be inventoried and the backup to tape job is now running.

To change the block size, you need the "mt-st" package installed on the Linux box running mhvtl, you then run the following command (substituting the number if you have more than one virtual tape drive):

Just to clarify, I've been informed that QuadStor and MHVTL are two separate projects, and do not share any code-base.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello,

Wanted to add a quick note that we tested Quadstor VTL which was emulating IBM 3100 Tape Library and IBM 3580 Ultrium6 Standalone drive with our software. All tests were successful - so in case you want to test Veeam B&R Tape functionality Quadstor VTL might be a good choice.

Cheers.
quadstor
Novice
Liked: 3 times

Post by quadstor »

ccatlett1984 wrote:So after working with the MHVTL Dev's all afternonn (They are amazing btw.) we figured out that Veeam does not seem to like the 256K blocksize that MHVTL defaults to, changing it to 64K allowed the tapes to be inventoried and the backup to tape job is now running.

(NOTE: w.r.t to quadstor vtl)
With recent changes we no longer set the block size on a tape drive startup to 256K (fixed block mode) but we set it zero (variable block mode). This allows an application to either change it via a SCSI mode select or specify this in the SCSI read command itself. The above mt commands are no longer required as with this change users have reported that the problem has gone away. We are not sure what the problem really was however, but the issue seems to occur when a drive is set to a 256K block size.

Possibly offtopic: Is tape block size configurable in future versions ? (Assuming that currently you cannot)
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello quadstor!

In the upcoming Veeam v8 we still request the default block size thru windows API and use the given value. It would be possible to change the default block size manually thru the registry by adding the necessary value.
quadstor
Novice
Liked: 3 times

Post by quadstor »

Registry should be fine if nothing else. Is the registry setting already possible in the 7.x or only the upcoming 8.x series ? Apologies if i have missed this in the documentation.

- Shivaram
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

quadstor wrote:Registry should be fine if nothing else. Is the registry setting already possible in the 7.x or only the upcoming 8.x series ?
The registry key will be available in v8. As to version 7, I believe support team has a private fix.

Thanks.
webrene
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Rene W.

Post by webrene »

Hi, I have been following this thread since we do also have a performance problem in connection with VTL. Finally we have upgraded to Version 8 yesterday but can still not manage to adjust the block size. Performance is still quite low. Any hints? Does anyone know, which registry value has to be modified here?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Please, contact support team and they will provide you with the corresponding regkeys. Thanks.