fgw
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Franz Glatzer

Feature Request: vm exclusion and guest processing options

Post by fgw »

main menu offers the option to change credentials used during guest processing:

main menu->manage credentials

a very useful feature as it prevents from updating multiple jobs when credentials change!

i would like to see a similar feature to maintain a common place for the list of exclusions used during vm selection and also for the exceptions to be used during guest processing. in fact i'm talking about the following options in backup job configurations:
  • virtual machines->exclusions
  • guest processing->advanced->edit
    guest processing->advanced->set user
the reason for requesting this is when creating various jobs which select vm's for backups based on "vms and templates" or "datastores and vms" and whenever a vm moves from one folder to another or is migrated onto another datastore all exclusions and guest processing exceptions need to be moved to the new job also.
to take care of this i have configured all my jobs (which select vm's based on datastores) to contain exclusions and exceptions for all vm's even if a particular vm is currently not present on the datastores selected for backup within this job. thus, if a vm's gets migrated to another datastore later it will be backed up by a different backup job as this new datastore is backed up by a different job also and will use the already present configuration in this new jobs vm exclusion and guest processing configuration!

using this approach there is no need to update backup jobs after migrating vm's form one datastore to another. especially when other operators come into the game and decide to move vm's between datastores without notification resulting in failed backup jobs during the following nightly backups.

of course i need to maintain a larger list of vm's in all jobs exclusion and guest processing configurations. using a single place for storing this information would life make much easier here ...