Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
scidoner
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times

How to exclude Hyper-V disks when using a container

Post by scidoner »

Hi!

I have a single Veeam backup job configured to back up all VMs on the Hyper-V host by using the container in the job. I can see that in the job there is a section for exclusions and from there you can exclude disks.

So I thought, cool I will add a VM to the exclusion list and tell Veeam to only process disk IDE 0:0.

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work (the size calculation in the job does not drop, and log when the job runs for that VM still shows it processing the disks I want to exclude).

Does Veeam not support this configuration where I want a single job, using a container, but to exclude disks from specific VMs?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: How to exclude Hyper-V disks when using a container

Post by foggy »

This should work, apart from the size calculation part, which is a known issue.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

However, if apart from calculation issue, you do see the job processing previously excluded disks, then, you'd better contact our support team and let them investigate it directly. Thanks.
scidoner
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times

Post by scidoner »

Righto. It is indeed showing that Veeam is still processing the disk. It is a SCSI disk... so I'm moving it to the IDE controller instead and see how Veeam goes with that.

Otherwise I'll create a separate backup job for that specific VM and be done with it.

Then if THAT doesn't work, I'll head over to Veeam support :)