Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
philscompany
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Phil Lacey

Very, very slow Backup Copy Transform

Post by philscompany »

Case ID: 00481879

After problems using removable drives, we started using a second NAS to provide offsite backups. Unfortunately the backup copy job is still causing issues when it gets to a transform.

We have a pair of Synology Diskstation DS411j/DS413j NAS boxes. One NAS (diskstation02) gets a straightforward Veeam backup job with reverse incrementals which works fine. The second NAS (diskstation01), which is still on the local network at the moment, receives a backup Copy job which originally was working fine but since it's started trying to transform the backups I now don't have an offsite backup because the transform never gets beyond 3%. It's taking so long I reckon it would take days to finish, if it ever did, but all it does now is completely fill up a 4TB NAS which should only have about 2TB of backups on it.

This is immensely frustrating as I don't know how to get around it, support don't seem to know either, all I've been told is to change the Diskstation repository from CIFS to Linux which I tried but when I tried adding the repository to the Copy job I get the error "Failed to start client agent on the host 'diskstation01.domainname.local'. Timeout to start agent". They are taking a very long time to respond and I'm worried because my offsite backups aren't working.

I'm using v7 R2.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Phil
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Very, very slow Backup Copy Transform

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Phil,

Since you're using CIFS repository, Veeam backup server cannot deploy a data mover process to speed up the transform process.

What distribution of Linux did you try to use? Does it have perl and SSH installed? As an alternative to a Linux box, I would suggest trying to add your NAS box to a Windows server and then point your backup copy job to this Windows repository.

Should help.
philscompany
Influencer

Post by philscompany »

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. It's a Synology Diskstation so it runs DSM - a manufacturer-only Linux version. It has SSH but I don't know about Perl, I doubt it.

What do you mean by "add your NAS box to a Windows server"?

Thanks,

Phil
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Mount it to any Windows server for the Veeam agent to be installed on.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

philscompany wrote:It's a Synology Diskstation so it runs DSM - a manufacturer-only Linux version. It has SSH but I don't know about Perl, I doubt it.
Perl should be present to make it work. And I believe this is the reason why you have that error message while adding your NAS to the backup console. Do you have any spare Linux VM?
philscompany
Influencer

Post by philscompany »

I do have a spare Linux VM. However, I'm confused, how do I go about mounting it to a Windows server? That link helps explain the concept but not how to do it.

Thanks,

Phil
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You can use iSCSI initiator on the Window server and point it to the NAS device, then initialize the volume and format it with NTFS. Once you do this, choose this volume as a repository for the copy job and see if that helps.
philscompany
Influencer

Post by philscompany »

Hi,

Thanks, but I perhaps did not explain myself fully, this is not an iSCSI SAN, it's a NAS which we connect to over the network.

Phil
philscompany
Influencer

Post by philscompany »

Sorry, ignore that, I've worked it out and set up the NAS as an iSCSI target on the Veeam server, currently testing it with a new Backup Copy job.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

What interfaces does this NAS have? Are you able to configure your NAS like this - http://www.synology.com/en-global/support/tutorials/488 ?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, keep us updated!