Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mbaker33
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Mark Baker

Disk Latency since Veeam 7 update

Post by mbaker33 »

Hello,

We've been dealing with this issue for many months and I finally wanted to see if there were others out there with the same trouble.

SInce upgrading to Veeam 7 (or at least it happened around that time) our Veeam server has been complaining (via SCOM) of both read and write latency on the C drive. The C Drive on our Veeam system is a SAS array in an mirrored RAID. Memory and CPU are normal most of the time during idle time, but disk is pegged off and on throughout the day. Our diagnostics points to the built-in SQL database, but I find it hard to believe that during idle times Veeam is writing enough to overwhelm the SAS RAID.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Re: Disk Latency since Veeam 7 update

Post by Gostev »

Hi Mark, v7 did increase the load on SQL server when the jobs are running, I too would not expect much load during the idle times. You may want to investigate this with our support to see what specific activity is happening on SQL server during idle times. Thanks!
mbaker33
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Mark Baker

Post by mbaker33 »

Thank you. I will create a case in the morning to review this. We do have Backup Copy Jobs which "run" all day, although, they are idle for 99.9% of the day as they only actively process data for 10-15 minutes each.
mcwill
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Iain McWilliams

Post by mcwill »

Mark,

Do you also have Veeam One monitoring your backups? The V7 update of that resulted in a much heavier resource usage of the underlying SQL server.

Iain