Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
zak2011
Veteran
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: Arun

Veeam One Monitor helps avert a major catastrophy

Post by zak2011 » 2 people like this post

The importance of having a good virtualization monitoring tool became obvious to me now than ever before.
All users start calling that they cannot open their mailboxes and the exchange admin panics. He tries restarting services on the Exchange server
but still doesnt work. He asks me if i could check exchange with any monitoring tool.
Fortunately had Veeam One installed and immediately see critical error on the Exchange VM and it was running low on space as transactional logs were getting filled up.
Veeam One really helped to troubleshoot the problem quickly which helped me to see that the disk containing the logs was getting filled up as i had missed to check 'Truncate logs immediately after successful backup'.
Thanks to a really useful tool like Veeam One. It really pays to have a very efficient monitoring tool like Veeam One and have an overall view of your environment rather than assume everything is working in your environment and live in ignorance.

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam One Monitor helps avert a major catastrophy

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Arun, thank you for your feedback, our R&D team will love it!
zak2011
Veteran

Post by zak2011 » 1 person likes this post

Hi Vitaliy,
Just expressing my gratitude to R&D for good tools. Also would be nice if the Veeam one client would be Web-based in future.
massimiliano.rizzi
Service Provider
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Massimiliano Rizzi

Post by massimiliano.rizzi »

Hello Arun/Vitaliy,

I am completely new to Veeam One.

Based on my understanding Veeam One can also monitor disk space usage IN a guest OS. Is that correct ?

Thanks and Regards,

Massimiliano
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, that's correct, moreover you do not need to have any agents deployed to the Guest OS.
massimiliano.rizzi
Service Provider

Hello Vitaliy,

thank you for your quick reply.

I guess we'll just have to specify the Guest OS Credentials somewhere within the Veeam ONE GUI ?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Nope ;) everything is done via VIX API (VMware Tools).
massimiliano.rizzi
Service Provider

Thanks again !
zak2011
Veteran

Post by zak2011 »

Hi Massimiliano,

We have evaluated a couple of virtualization monitoring tools like vkernel, Solar winds and a few others.
The best dashboard and ease of use we have found is Veeam One.Veeam One, provides a detailed yet simple overview for users. I highly recommend you give it a try and make use of this valuable tool.
dspjones
Enthusiast
Liked: 17 times

Post by dspjones »

Wish I could monitor guest services for started, stopped. We had an issue with our vCenter server over the weekend. The inventory service wigged out and logs started collecting on the C: drive. Eventually the box ran out os space, which caused the vCenter Server Service to stop. The ripple effect was, veeam backups failed, which led to exchange database server transaction logs growing and killing that server about an hour ago. Never got an alert from VeeamOne about not being able to connect to vCenter Server Service. Although when we opened VeeamOne Monitor there is a red X on the top level that says connection problems. It is generated from the pre-defined alarm (Virtual Server Connection Failure), which IS SET to send email, but neither I nor my colleague got any such email. Had we got this, we could have prevented the exchange problem long before it was a problem. At this point I am not sure why the email from VeeamOne was not fired off, but we are just now getting vCenter and Exchange back to normal so I'll look at that later today. The alarm is enabled and again set to send an email but it did not. Service monitoring would be a great addition to this product. It would allow us to completely get rid of WhatsUpGold.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

dspjones wrote:which IS SET to send email, but neither I nor my colleague got any such email.
Hmm...that's strange. Maybe the Exchange server was already not responding when it happened? The debug logs would definitely tell if the email notification was sent or not.
dspjones wrote:Service monitoring would be a great addition to this product. It would allow us to completely get rid of WhatsUpGold.
Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it. In order to monitor Guest OS information we need any user account with sufficient permissions to connect to the Guest OS. Can you please tell me how did you set this up with WhatsUpGold?
dspjones
Enthusiast
Liked: 17 times

Post by dspjones »

WhatsUpGold allows you to specify credentials for various products/systems (vmware, windows, unix/linux etc...) When you add in a device to be monitored, a windows machine in this case, you can specify services to monitored for up or down and you choose the credentials that you want to use for that monitor. Similar to the way you have manage credentials in Veeam B&R.

BTW, we found the reason we didn't get the alerts. Missed a checkbox in the notifications config.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, glad that you've nailed it and thanks for the details on account management.