Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
jaroslaw.borowski
Novice
Liked: never

'As new backup file appear' and Retry backups

Post by jaroslaw.borowski »

Hello,
I have a question about "As new backup file appear" schedule option.
Lets assume we have a backup job that perform a full backup of 10 VM. If it fails it performs 2 retries each every 120 minutes.
Than we have a Tape job which backup only full backup sets and have "As new backup file appear" schedule option enabled.

If the backup job performs the fallowing way (because for example there was a VSS timeout on few machines):
1st run backups 7 VMs
2nd run backups 2 VMs (Retry 1)
3rd run backups the last VM. (Retry 2)
will the first 7 VMs be tripled on tapes since each retry creates new backup file? Assuming the tape job can perform under 120 minutes.
Or is "As new backup file appear" option waiting until all retries are done and only than starts tape job?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: 'As new backup file appear' and Retry backups

Post by Dima P. »

Hello,
Thank you for the interesting question. Yes, backup to tape job with the "As new backup file appear" scheduling option will wait for the original backup to disk job to complete all retires.
jaroslaw.borowski
Novice

Thanks for a quick response.
What if we would run the retry operation manually by selecting (from disk backup job dropmenu) option Retry?
Same scenario as in my first post except there is a person clicking the retry option instead of Veeam invoking it automatically.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

If job failed you would be able to run a retry manually and in this case tape job would pick up only the backup created during manual retry.
jaroslaw.borowski
Novice

So to sum it up:
-Veeam waits until all automatically triggered retries of disk backup job are done and only then performs tape backup job
-Veeam performs tape backup job on failed disk backups if there are no retries or all retries have already run
-Manual retries trigger tape backup job which only copy new machines from the backup file to tape

Is the above correct since I'm not sure about the last one? How will Veeam be able to modify a backup file already written on tape?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

I've been testing manual retry behavior with tape job since you last question and it seems that backup to tape took .vbk before job failed and then when I run retry manually it picks up new .vbk modified after retry and in this case duplicating VMs is possible. I would double check with QA if this is expected or not. Thank you
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello,
Sorry for delay in response!
-Veeam waits until all automatically triggered retries of disk backup job are done and only then performs tape backup job
Yes
-Veeam performs tape backup job on failed disk backups if there are no retries or all retries have already run
If during at least one successful retry all VM's were backed up tape job would start, if not it will wait till all retry fail.
-Manual retries trigger tape backup job which only copy new machines from the backup file to tape
When you hit retry manually all the backup data generated during retry will be backed up to tape again - I just confirmed this to be expected.