Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
GreenRizlas
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Phil

Large Restore Restore Task

Post by GreenRizlas »

Hi All,

I have looked through several forum entries an can't quite find what I am looking for, I need some quick advice on what the best course of action is. We have a need to recover (temporarily) around 70GB of data from a one week old backup. I have tried to run a simply file level restore but this was thwarted for two reasons, a. I found my recover location meant the file paths were too long for some files (I don't know if there is a report at the end of the recovery as I never got this far to find out what files were skipped) b. The process took that long (especially as it hung waiting for me to ok the too long path) that it locked the VM and subsequent backups/replication tasks failed.

Firstly, in this normal for a running restore job to lock the VM so that backups and replications fail? (I have used vRanger in the past and this does not do this). Secondly - what can you recommend is the best option for me to recover the 70GB of files, either FLR or just recover the HD containing the files I want. Maybe it's my lack of experience with Veeam, but there appears to be no easy option for this.....I would like this to be totally non-destructive and not affect the current live running VM.

Any ideas please.

Cheers.

Veeam Backup and Replication 6.5 (Version 6.5.0.128)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Re: Large Restore Restore Task

Post by Gostev »

Hi Phil,

Both (a) and (b) issues are addressed in v7.

Whether the backup file is locked depends on the backup mode you are using (see backup modes pros and cons table in the sticky FAQ, that the choice you need to make). One of the three backup modes we provide is the classic incremental one you that you have used to with vRanger.

The best option is to upgrade to B&R 7.0 R2 and perform FLR normally.

Hope this helps!
GreenRizlas
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Phil

Post by GreenRizlas »

Hi Gostev,

We are using reverse incremental, which explains why the backups fail while the restore is running.

If there is no easy way to recover the files and the issues are resolved in v7 we may have to bite the bullet and upgrade (let's hope it doesn't bring more problems!). I even tried to map a drive directly to the recovery location in order to reduce the path length, but I could not recover to a mapped drive.

The restore (which I stopped) appears to have completely locked the VM and all subsequent backups and replications tasks for this VM have failed with 'File is locked by running session' I have found the answer to this here:

http://www.veeam.com/kb1487

Thanks for you quick reply even though it may not have been the answer I wanted, I maybe need to spend some more time playing with Veeam.

Thanks,

Phil
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Another option is to copy VBK somewhere with Veeam B&R installed (even free version is enough) and restore the required files from there.