Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
steven.rush
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Steven Rush

Reporting

Post by steven.rush »

I'm sure this has been beat to death...I apologize.

I installed Veeam a few weeks ago and love the product. However, basic reporting is severely lacking without purchasing Veeam One. I know I can use PowerShell, so the question is this: Is there a script (or another way), which will allow me to run and email a report showing all backup activity over the last 24 hours. It should show the job name (or VM name), successes / failures, repository space left, duration, and any other useful information.

I know there is VeeamOne, but quite frankly, the type of report I'm looking for is pretty basic...most backup products have this basic report and functionality built in. I dont want to pay for a product where I won't use 99% of the functionality (as with VeeamOne). I also don't want to be spammed after every job using just the "notify me" checkbox.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6702 times

Re: Reporting

Post by Gostev »

Yes, it should be possible to create such script by querying our configuration database with SQL script. Also I believe I remember other users posting similar scripts here before we included this functionality into Veeam ONE, so you can try searching these forums and see if you can find anything fitting your needs. Hope this helps.

Our direction is to have all but most basic job reporting in Veeam ONE. It is quite typical that users are not thinking the reporting requirements through. For example, you mention you want to see repository space left in this report. But, do you also want to know if the repository is actually healthy and running fine, and will be able to accept the next daily backup? Or, how soon you will run out of free disk space with the current trend (may be in 2 weeks, when you are on vacation)? Of course, the answer is yes - you do want to know all of this - but then, to provide you with all this information, we would need to start building monitoring and reporting into the backup product, when there is already a polished product that does this exceptionally well.

Or as your environment grows, you will want to provide multiple users with granular pull (as needed) access to these reports through the web portal, instead just push email about all VMs to everyone. Again, Veeam ONE provides all that - but we would have to build this from scratch in the B&R.

Hope our strategy makes sense, even though you may disagree with it in your specific situation...
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Please take a look at this existing post with a script example, probably close to what you're looking for: PowerShell Veeam backup status report
steven.rush
Lurker
Full Name: Steven Rush

Post by steven.rush »

Gostev - Thank you for the reply I certainly understand Veeam's strategy with reporting, and I know that VeeamOne provides a great deal of various reports and monitoring solutions. It's just way more than what I'm looking for. Again though, this is a fantastic product. I've been looking around and finding varying powershell scripts to help with my issue... I'll get there eventually. Thanks much again.

Foggy - Thanks, I did see that one. I'm looking for more of an overview, not just an alert for failures or warnings. Thanks though!
cookiejc
Enthusiast
Full Name: J Cook

[MERGED] Reporting on individual VM's backup status

Post by cookiejc »

Hi, sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but I can't seem to find anything.

is there a way either using Veeam BR, Powershell or Enterprise manager to produce a daily report of every individual VM being backed up by Veeam and it's previous backup result (Success / Fail)

From enterprise manager the closest I can get without having to drill down into each job is the excel export of all VM's which does show their last Success date but ideally we want a Success / Fail report that can be produced by the helpdesk daily.

Thanks in advance
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

James, please see the topic referred to above, probably this is what you're looking for.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

James, either Protected VMs report or VM backup status that can be found in Veeam ONE should address your request. Thanks!
cookiejc
Enthusiast

Post by cookiejc »

Thank you for your responses. I will look into the script but I think it is slightly different to our requirements, if it can produce a daily report for error, warnings AND sucessful VM's then great.

Getting a daily report of server backup result per server should be a basic task for a backup product. I know Veeam One offers these features but it also overlaps with other products we have for virtualisation so it will be a struggle to get the purchase of another product approved. Many organisations such as ours get audited for backups and it seems a shame that such a good product like Veeam is lacking in this area
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

You can use the daily report from Enterprise Manager to have a summary of all backup jobs. In this way, you got the information of how many jobs failed or had a warning, and your helpdesk have to connect and check errors only if you see one of them. It's per job and not per VM, but as long as it says you that all your jobs completed successfully, there is no need to check every VM inside any job.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
cookiejc
Enthusiast

Post by cookiejc »

This is what i've suggested and have used elsewhere in the past. The problem here is the detail is not enough. A record of a successful job doesn't answer the question of what was in the the job which could be subject to change. A simple daily excel report listing all VM's and Pass / Fail is what is required for the level of scruity we get from audits.