Management reporting and documentation
felyjos
Veteran
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Dominique DUCHEMIN

List of snapshots

Post by felyjos »

Hello,

Do we have a report in VeeamOne, Veeam Backup, vCenter, etc... which lists all snapshots took for a particular VM within the last 24 hours?
Thanks,
DOm
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: List of snapshots

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Hi Dom,

Do you mean the historical information about all snapshots? Not sure this information is stored somewhere, however you may want to use Custom report pack to review all existing snapshot files. Out of curiosity, why do you need this information?

Thanks!
felyjos
Veteran

Post by felyjos »

Hi Vitaly,

Yes it is an historical about snapshots I need. I will check the Custom Report Pack.
I would like this information as several VMs SQL backup are failing when they have an existing snapshot at the time of the SQL backup.
"BackupVirtualDeviceFile::PrepareToFreeze: failure on backup device '{4FEEA406-DD73-47D8-BC10-0ADAD6A44D6D}1'. Operating system error 995(The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.).
BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP DATABASE ADWDB. Check the backup application log for detailed messages."

Still in progress....
Thanks,
Dom
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Dom,

Do you need to keep these snapshots on the SQL Server VMs or they are used by the backup job? If this is the case, then to make sure there are no snapshots at the time of SQL backup, I would use different schedule for VM backup and SQL jobs, plus I would set an alarm for the snapshot presence.

Thanks!
felyjos
Veteran

Post by felyjos »

Vitaly,

Excellent tips, I will check them and also I read something about a possible exclusion of snapshots during SQL backup I need to read deeper also this path

Thanks,
Dom
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

You can exclude any database from VSS processing if you follow this procedure > http://forums.veeam.com/viewtopic.php?f ... ter#p93611

Hope this helps!
felyjos
Veteran

Post by felyjos »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Dom,

Do you need to keep these snapshots on the SQL Server VMs or they are used by the backup job? If this is the case, then to make sure there are no snapshots at the time of SQL backup, I would use different schedule for VM backup and SQL jobs, plus I would set an alarm for the snapshot presence.

Thanks!
Vitaly,

Different schedule seems not options as Veeam Backup is using jobs with several VMs in it and I don't know when a particular VM will be backed up... some jobs are running from 8 pm to 2 am ... depending on the content of VMs.
SQL is running cycling backups every 2 or 4 hours but as a 24/7 shop I could not have a window of 6 or more hours to be out of the Veeam Backup.

Thanks,
Dom
felyjos
Veteran

Post by felyjos »

Vitaliy S. wrote:You can exclude any database from VSS processing if you follow this procedure > http://forums.veeam.com/viewtopic.php?f ... ter#p93611

Hope this helps!
This does not help as I don't want to exclude any database(s) from the backup (SQL or VEeam Backup) I want to exclude the snapshot(s) which should not be here most of the time.... for several machines I noticed that snapshots are present as in previous tasks (Backup, Migration, ....etc..) the snapshot created has never been removed... the process was timing out before the removal step...

Thanks,
Dom
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

felyjos wrote:Different schedule seems not options as Veeam Backup is using jobs with several VMs in it and I don't know when a particular VM will be backed up... some jobs are running from 8 pm to 2 am ...
Do you use VM containers in the backup job or you have added VMs individually?
felyjos
Veteran

Post by felyjos »

Vitaly,

We add VM Individually... Which type of container is available?

Thanks,
Dom
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Well...if you add VMs individually, then you can control how they are going to be backed up by using up and down arrows, I think it should help you with the scheduling.
felyjos
Veteran

Post by felyjos »

We have tried to manage the schedule using the arrangement but some VMs are backed up in 10-15 minutes one day then the next day it is 45 minutes so our window get overlapped....
so a job could run in 2 hours one day and 4 the next day !!! not sure yet what is causing this change...
Now as we have 480 VMs backed up successfully it seems to be more "ontime" ...
Conflicts seen during the veeam backup are:
- I/O is frozen on database - SQL 2005
- failures due to existing snapshots

Still checking what is going on ...

Thanks,
Dom
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, please keep us updated on your findings. Maybe Windows event log will give more insight into this.