Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
InFrance
Influencer
Liked: never

Replication failover

Post by InFrance »

Hello,

I have a couple of questions regarding VEEAM Replication, specifically failover and fallback that I would like to better understand.

After using Veeam backup V7 for a while, I am new to Veeam Replication. I replicated a Linux host to another ESXi server on the same LAN.
As it was a Linux host, no re-ip rules were applied.

I "failed over" over the host to the new server and noticed that now both the NEW and OLD host were now powered on.

- Is the source host left on so that a failback can be performed?
- Can you tell me what happens to the old server so that it is no longer accessible to network connections?

I then performed a permanent failover. I expected Veeam to poweroff the source host but it was still powered on. From the console of the source host I was able to access "ping" other hosts on our LAN.

- perhaps the same reply as the above question, but what prevents network connections to a source host after a permenant failover.
- Is it just a case if powering off the source host off manually and modifying the backup job to reflect new ESXi server for a permanent move?

Many thanks for any help you can provide.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Replication failover

Post by foggy »

Performing a failover does not automatically power off the source VM. When you start failover to the replica VM, it is implied that production VM is already down due to some DR situation.
InFrance
Influencer

Post by InFrance »

Thank you for your reply.

I am trying to replace a physical ESxi server with new hardware with the minimun of downtime. The office is closed outside of working hours and during weekends.

The idea was to replicate all the servers during the weekend, perform a failover and then a permanent failover.

So in order to achieve the migration, I would need to shutdown the source hosts manually before performing the failover procedure.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Have you considered to use Quick Migration to perform this task?
InFrance
Influencer

Post by InFrance »

The migration would need to be performed over a weekend and I felt that launching the quick migration of 10 servers before closing might be a little risky (I would not be able to access the machine until monday morning)

Perhaps wrongly, but under these cirumstances I felt I had a little more control over the migration process with replication.

Thank you for your help and comments.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Makes sense, thanks for clarification.