Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dschrader@iu17.org
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Daniel Schrader

Backup Copy Schedule after backup finishes

Post by dschrader@iu17.org »

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if there was functionality currently or is there going to be functionality in the backup copy jobs to have them run after a backup job has finished?

That way the backup copy job will only run when there is a backup for it to copy and I do not have to tell it when to run.

Basically I am asking for functionality just like the backup jobs have with starting another backup after a backup job finishes so that you don't have multiple jobs running at the same time. Also it would be nice to point the backups schedule at a backup copy job. So I could basically do 1st backup - backup copy of the 1st backup - 2nd backup after 1st backup copy has finished - 2nd backup copy of second backup - etc.

That way I tell my backups to start at lets say 4 and they run themselves like crazy until everything is done and I have no wasted time at night trying to make sure everything fits in my 4PM - 6AM window.

Thanks,
Dan
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup Copy Schedule after backup finishes

Post by foggy »

Daniel, are you probably talking about this functionality?
dschrader@iu17.org
Influencer

Yes, but is there anyway to set that at the backup copy level or is that only in the backup area?
lobo519
Veteran
Liked: 38 times

Post by lobo519 »

I agree - the scheduling options need some improvement on Backup Copy Jobs BUT - If I am understanding you correctly - I was able to get the functionality you are describing by setting the Backup Copy job interval time to the same time as my backup job and set the interval to 1 day. Doing this - the Backup Copy job will start copying the backup as soon as the Backup job finishes.
dschrader@iu17.org
Influencer

I see. So the functionality is already there to do what I want to do. It just seems to be in a weird place. It would be nice however to schedule a backup to run after a backup copy has finished so that I can say go and everything runs as quickly as possible and I do not have to worry about multiple jobs running at night.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

dschrader@iu17.org wrote:I see. So the functionality is already there to do what I want to do. It just seems to be in a weird place. It would be nice however to schedule a backup to run after a backup copy has finished so that I can say go and everything runs as quickly as possible and I do not have to worry about multiple jobs running at night.
Perhaps I don't understand the request, why would you want a backup copy to run prior to the backup? Normally the backup copy should run after the backup to, well, copy the backup to a second location. Are you talking about running a backup more often than once a day?

Based on your original query, everything is already there to do exactly what you want to do. You simply create a single backup copy job that's linked to all of your backup jobs. Have it start it's interval when the first of your jobs run (or at the same time if all jobs start at once). The Backup Copy will simply monitor and start copying restore points as soon as each job is finished.
dschrader@iu17.org
Influencer

Ah I see where I am getting confusing. Let me try to break my request down a little more.

1. Backup Job 1 runs at 4PM. (Only job I will ever have to set a time for)
2. Backup Copy 1 is schedule to run after Backup Job 1 is finished, using the run the job automatically after this job.
3. Backup Job 2 is scheduled to run after Backup Copy 1 is finished.
4. Backup Copy 2 is scheduled to run after Backup Job 2 is finished.
etc.

This way I only ever have 1 job running and if my server runs into problems it is only backing up 1 job at a time.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler » 3 people like this post

I understand, but I guess the point is that Veeam is designed to handle all of this automatically so that you don't have to get into that level of detail in your scheduling. You can just schedule all of your jobs to start at 4PM, including the copies, then just let the scheduler handle it. You can control concurrency with the settings available on the repository to limit the number of tasks that will actually become active to whatever level you feel comfortable.

If you want to do the scheduling you mention I guess you could use Powershell and a post-job script.