Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ta_jb
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times

Disable autom. updates of the license file

Post by ta_jb »

Hi,
one quick question regarding this "feature" mentioned in the release notes of 6.5:
Automatic update. Disable automatic updates of the license file from Enterprise Manager to backup
servers (available to authorized backup-as-a-service providers).
How do we get authorized as a BaaS provider? We've lot of customers using Veeam B&R and we're managing there infrastructure from our site. As far as I can remember the early versions of Enterprise Manager were able connect to the backup server without synchronizing the licenses. Would be great if we can get this feature back.

Regards,
Jens

PS: Great job with version 6.5 :D
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Re: Disable autom. updates of the license file

Post by Gostev »

Hi Jens,

You can apply here > http://www.veeam.com/veeam-cloud-providers.html
ta_jb wrote:As far as I can remember the early versions of Enterprise Manager were able connect to the backup server without synchronizing the licenses.
No, this was never possible. Centralized license management has been one of the core functions of Enterprise Manager since day 1.

Thanks for your kind words!
rubeng
Service Provider
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Ruben Gilja

[MERGED] Use Enterprise Manager stricly to monitor

Post by rubeng »

Hi guys,

I've started to poke around with the Enterprise manager, and it works great.

But I got a little worried when I read that the Enterprise Manager pushes out license to all connected backup servers?

Well, I added about 5 Veeam B&R with standard license, and the Enterprise Manager did not change the license to Enterprise, it was still the standard license registered to the customer.

Is it possible to use the Enterprise Manager strictly for monitoring and reports on jobs and VMs? And not use it for managing licenses?

Update: I read on "What's new Veeam B&R 6.5":
Automatic update. Disable automatic updates of the license file from Enterprise Manager to backup
servers (available to authorized backup-as-a-service providers).
So that means only BaaS providers can get this feature?

Sad that the Enterprise Manager cannot be used together with Standard licensed Veeam servers.. Would've made our daily checks 10 times easier.

Best regards,

Ruben
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Re: [MERGED] Use Enterprise Manager stricly to monitor

Post by Gostev »

rubeng wrote:Sad that the Enterprise Manager cannot be used together with Standard licensed Veeam servers..
Why not? It certainly can be used with Standard licensed Veeam servers.
ta_jb
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times

Re: [MERGED] Use Enterprise Manager stricly to monitor

Post by ta_jb »

Gostev wrote:Why not? It certainly can be used with Standard licensed Veeam servers.
Yes, but it exchanges the installed licenses with the one installed on the Enterprise Manager.

We'd like to use the Enterprise Manager for our "daily checks" too (same as Ruben said).
And we won't be able to become a BaaS provider in the near future . :wink:
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2721 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

ta_jb wrote:We'd like to use the Enterprise Manager for our "daily checks" too (same as Ruben said).
Then I would suggest considering Veeam ONE (part of Backup Management Suite) as a monitoring and reporting tool for your backup infrastructure.
ntc09
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Scott Davis

[MERGED] Re: Making Veeam Enterprise Manager work over a WAN

Post by ntc09 »

Quick question....Is there a way to prevent the Enterprise manager from pushing the license keys out to the B&R servers?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Scott, I've merged your post into a more appropriate discussion. Please contact our technical support for instructions on how to do that.