Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
mschlott
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mike Schlottman

Changing Tape Retention

Post by mschlott »

If I change the Retention on a tape pool from "Never overwrite data" to "Protect data for 3 Months", does this change the retention for all tapes in the pool or only tapes that are written after the change is made?

Is there any way I can see what date a tape was last written or when the data is set to expire? If not, I would like to see this in a future release.

mike
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Changing Tape Retention

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Mike,
If I change the Retention on a tape pool from "Never overwrite data" to "Protect data for 3 Months", does this change the retention for all tapes in the pool or only tapes that are written after the change is made?
Retention should be changed for all written tapes in the media pool (offline and online).
Is there any way I can see what date a tape was last written or when the data is set to expire? If not, I would like to see this in a future release.
If do not use option "always use this media set", and default media set creation name with %date%– then you can open Media > Filter Online (or Offline) and see the name of the media set, which would have the creation date stamp (not the backup – but the media set). This is a tough workaround, however much more convenient view for retentions would be included into upcoming release.
mschlott
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mike Schlottman

Re: Changing Tape Retention

Post by mschlott »

Thanks for the info. I look forward to the upcoming release.