Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
nthelen
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: nthelen

Tape full

Post by nthelen »

Hello together,

i have a tape for every day (Monday - Friday). On next week it appends the next backup (Dont protect data - current media set). So i have on Monday-Tape only monday backups of the last weeks. If the tape gets full, it want the next tape (oldest).

Is it possible that data on a tape is overwritten, if it becomes full?

Veeam 7R2a

Thank you
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Tape full

Post by Dima P. »

Hello,

Are you talking about the ability to "append to media, overwrite if there is no appendable media"?
nthelen
Influencer

Post by nthelen »

Hello,

i have one tape drive and for every day one tape, which is only used on the same day (monday-tape -> monday, tuesday-tape -> tuesday). After 3 weeks, 3 monday-backups of the last 3 weeks are on tape "Monday". After week 4 it ejects the tape and said: "Tape currently in drive cannot be used for backup" -> Insert valid tape into the library, oldest retained tape....

I want that veeam deletes the oldest backups on this tape and dont want a new tape, because the monday tape should only used for monday. All tapes are in the same media set and pool.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Thank you for clarification!
After week 4 it ejects the tape and said: "Tape currently in drive cannot be used for backup" -> Insert valid tape into the library, oldest retained tape...
Could you, please, describe your media pool/set and tape job set up? Any chance you used "Do not overwrite option' as a media pool retention? For the "daily cycle" scenario you may want to take a look at this topic.
I want that Veeam deletes the oldest backups on this tape
It is only possible to erase the tape completely; currently there is no way to perform a granular deletion of expired backups from one tape media.
Thank you.
nthelen
Influencer

Post by nthelen »

Could you, please, describe your media pool/set and tape job set up? Any chance you used "Do not overwrite option' as a media pool retention? For the "daily cycle" scenario you may want to take a look at this topic.
Media-Pool:
Name: "Backuptapes"
Tapes: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
"Add Tapes form Free media pool automatically when more tapes are requiered" -> set
Media Set: "Daily Backup"
"Do not create, alway continue using current media set" -> set
Retention: Do not protect data (cyclically overwrite tapes as requierd)

After 3 weeks (monday tape inside) it will not override this tape. It ejects the tape and wants to insert a valid tape into the library (oldest).

It is only possible to erase the tape completely; currently there is no way to perform a granular deletion of expired backups from one tape media.
Thank you.
If the tape is completely erased would be ok, but it ejects only the tape and inform to insert a valid tape. Why does it not erase the tape? What is the failure or correct settings?