Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
trackstar
Expert
Liked: 4 times

General questions on backup

Post by trackstar »

Hello,

We have been using Veeam for the last 6 months now and very happy with results. We currently using Veeam to backup our Exchange 2010 servers but like to extent to other servers.

Questions:

1) For 2008 Domain Controllers, do I have to be cautious about any issue?

2) For Sql 2008 (we have a few 2005), if we use MS backup maintenance within SQL, I just need to configure the Veeam backup for those servers and not have to check (application-aware image processing)?

3) Can we backup Windows 2000? Just making sure :mrgreen:

4) Lots of Centos machines (I am sure is fine but just posted here).

Thanks in advance,
TS
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: General questions on backup

Post by foggy »

trackstar wrote:1) For 2008 Domain Controllers, do I have to be cautious about any issue?
Just make sure you enable application-aware image processing in the job settings for these VMs. Also, there is a huge topic regarding DC recovery, worth reviewing.
trackstar wrote:2) For Sql 2008 (we have a few 2005), if we use MS backup maintenance within SQL, I just need to configure the Veeam backup for those servers and not have to check (application-aware image processing)?
Yes, if you perform native SQL backup, you don't need to enable AAIP.
trackstar wrote:3) Can we backup Windows 2000? Just making sure :mrgreen:
4) Lots of Centos machines (I am sure is fine but just posted here).
You can backup any VM guest supported by VMware.
trackstar
Expert

Post by trackstar »

Thanks again foggy.

Two more questions :). For front end exchange servers 2010 such as CAS/HUB which are not database driven, I am guessing just the regular backup would be fine? Also same thing with IIS?

TS
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

it’s always recommended to enable application-aware image processing whenever you back up VMs running VSS-aware applications.
trackstar
Expert

Post by trackstar »

foggy wrote:it’s always recommended to enable application-aware image processing whenever you back up VMs running VSS-aware applications.
For item #2, lets say (Sql 2008 or 2005 with MS backup maintenance in SQL), even if I enabled application-aware image processing it won't have any negative issue right?

Also if the sever doesn't have any database and application-aware image processing is enabled, no negative impact?

I am trying to categorize the servers for different jobs and want to keep it simple.

Thanks,
TS
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

trackstar wrote:For item #2, lets say (Sql 2008 or 2005 with MS backup maintenance in SQL), even if I enabled application-aware image processing it won't have any negative issue right?
Correct, if you do not enable logs truncation in Veeam B&R.
trackstar wrote:Also if the sever doesn't have any database and application-aware image processing is enabled, no negative impact?
Correct.
trackstar
Expert

Post by trackstar »

One last question. We have a few linux boxes (mostly centos) that have MySQL (New one called Maria DB I think) with no VM tools installed. If I were to just take regular backup, do I have any issues that I should be aware of?

I know our programers do some dumps on the local storage which is fine. More concern with any freezing issue while the snapshot is taken place?

I did read the pdf on this:

http://www.veeam.com/blog/backing-up-my ... ux-vm.html

Thanks,
TS
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You will have crash-consistent backup of your MySQL VM, in most cases your database should recover from this kind of backups. BTW, even if you are not going to use pre-freeze/post-thaw scripts it is still recommended to have VMware Tools deployed (VMware Tools quiescence option enabled) on the VMs you're backing up.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

trackstar wrote:.More concern with any freezing issue while the snapshot is taken place?
VM freezing is more common during snapshot commit operation. So,you might want to test whether or not there will be issues with snapshot operations. It can be done by taking the snapshot of VM manually, keeping the snapshot open for long enough, and deleting it.

As to VM running MySQL application, you should be ok, as long as dumps are performed on regular basis, since dumps, as well as, pre-freeze/post-thaw scripts are among recommended ways of backing up such VMs.

Thanks.