Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Djeten
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Didier Boydens

Feature Requests - Missing things in Veeam Backup v4

Post by Djeten »

Gostev,

We're using the veeam backup solution for some time now. Still there are some very usefull things that we're missing in the current product.

First. We replicate our entire environment for DR, not using the backup option / using the replica to function as backup. This is excellent but I miss some functions, which mostly are enables by the normal backup mode.

Import function for replicas
You can do an import through the import function from your backup tape library of backup files. Since we work with replicas, all the replicas and subsequent vrb. files are backuped to tape. But when we need them for disaster recovery (if f.ex everything is wiped out / backup & production site) I can't import replica's. So I can't rollback. Narrowing my options in a big disaster scenario. So is an import function for replicas in the pipeline? Very important to me.

VM / Disk restore from a replica
Why can't you do a vm restore from a replica to another location. (disk, ...) Sometimes we need a "test copy" of a vm and since we work with replicas we're obliged to take a parralel backup & restore. Also a full disk restore (like the one in the backup) would be very practical in a replica environment to. Not touching the replica. But being able to restore to a particular location.
Because we're using the replica option to the fullest. I believe everything is there to accomplish this.

VM / Replica in thin mode
Being able to replicate from thick disks in production to thin disks in the replication location.

VM / Replica test mode
Being able to test a replica by starting it up (from the GUI) with a dummy network. Vizioncore has such a function. This while the production remains online.

Granular way to exclude disks in a job
In the jobscheduling for a replication task you can exclude vmdk's. What is an excellent feature. I have a replication task for 5 VMs. When I click the the exclusion button next to the vm's I can select which disks that I can include / exclude from replication So I select every machine and changed the settings like the diagram. vm A scsi 0:1 & scsi 0:2 & scsi 0:3 vm B scsi 0:0 & scsi 0:1 vm c scsi 0:0 & scsi 0:3 vm D scsi 0:0 & scsi 0:1 vm E scsi 0:0 & scsi 0:2 Problem is. It only remembers the setting for the last entry instead of each the entrys for each vm. What makes that I have to create 5 replication jobs to use above configuration. Is a granular way to exclude disks in a job possible in a future release?

Any idea if & when they will be implemented.

thanks,

Didier Boydens
St. Augustinushospital Belgium
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: Feature Requests - Missing things in Veeam Backup v4

Post by Gostev »

Thanks Didier, all of these features are on our short list and should be delivered as part of Veeam Backup releases in 2010.
Djeten
Influencer
Full Name: Didier Boydens

Post by Djeten »

That's great news.

Keep up the good work.

Didier
davidshq
Enthusiast
Full Name: David Mackey

Post by davidshq »

I like these features as well. :)
Dave.
fgw
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Franz Glatzer

Post by fgw »

would like to add this to the list:

having set up folders within witual center to organise my vm's. this way i simply add the folder to my backup job, thus backing up all vm's within the folder. the nice feature here is, if i add a vm in virtal center into this folder later it gets backed up as well. its also possible to exclude vm's contained in the folder from the job. so far, so good!

what i'm missing are the following features when using folders in backupjobs as described above:
  • to exclude disks not only for all vm's within the job, but to exclude disks individually for certain vm's. (already posted by Didier)
  • to exclude individual vm's when using VSS. clicking the advanced button gives the option to deselect VSS for the whole folder but not for individual vm's! would like to mix solaris and win vm's but dont lwant to use the option "continue if vss quiescence fails". the win vm's should be backed up ONLY if VSS succeeds!
  • to setup user and password to be used in VSS individually for vm's. this again can be done only for the whole folder!