Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
electricd7
Expert
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Chad Killion

FEATURE REQUEST: Per machine pre and post job tasks

Post by electricd7 »

We backup most of our VMware environments by means of datastore. We do this so that when we add a new machine, it automatically gets added to an existing Veeam job and no intervention needs to be done for this to happen. The problem we are facing is that we have many machines that will not recover correctly from a VMware snapshot. What I would like to do is be able to fire off a powershell script before Veeam processes specific machines to perform some tasks. Most cases it would be stopping a certain service or killing a task. Then after the job is finished processing this machine, I would like to be able to fire off another task to reverse what I had done previously.

I am aware that I can run a post-job task, but that doesn't address my issue as my jobs are very large and even if I write a powershell script to kill a service on a machine, then start the veeam job, and finally run the post-job task, it could be hours before the job gets to the specific machine I am wanting to address. The only way I have found to get around this currently is to either process the machine with Backup Exec (blah!), or to create a specific job for this machine and write a powershell script to do all the task work and then schedule the powershell script and not the job. This is very messy and hard for anyone who is not me to know what I am doing.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6704 times

Re: FEATURE REQUEST: Per machine pre and post job tasks

Post by Gostev »

Seems like exactly what pre-freeze and post-thaw scripts of VMware Tools are designed to do?
beckhamk
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Re: FEATURE REQUEST: Per machine pre and post job tasks

Post by beckhamk »

I would like to second the ability to have pre job tasks(scripts). I am sure there are many use cases for this use. I for one wouldnt want to have to worry about vmware pre-freeze scripts on all of the vms i need to do this on - that would be a nightmare in itself. But easier to manage script on the VB box for these vms. Our use case has to do with us evaluating PernixData FVP. Seem when you accelerate writes - this opens up a can of worms with backup programs that are on physical servers using direct san (vmdk) access, and requires you to use a helper vm. I know VB supports this, but if i believe correct that is slower performance than direct access which we will not use. We just need a way to run the pernixdata write flush script for a specific vm.