Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
EddyChong
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Eddy Chong

U-AIR AD User Restore "The supplied credential is invalid"

Post by EddyChong »

Hi All,

I am facing an issue when I was trying to restore active directory user using U-AIR for AD.

I managed to submit the request using Virtual Lab Manager which installed in my Veeam Backup Server. And I've approved the request via Enterprise Manager.
Then the virtual lab created a virtual lab server and boot up successfully, passed all the test scripts tests.

I open the the virtual lab manager and open the virtual lab, then i browse to user and found my deleted ad user, and click restore and enable the user. It prompted for a new password and i've put the new password and then it shows the error

"The supplied credentials is invalid"

Eventually my user still restored (partially), with user not enabled, password not set.

I believe it must be some permission issue but I am sure I am using the domain administrator. Is anyone faced similar issue before?

Thank you
Eddy
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2722 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: U-AIR AD User Restore "The supplied credential is invali

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Eddy,

I haven't seen this issue before, but can you please tell me if you've tried using any other account to restore your AD user?

Thanks!
EddyChong
Enthusiast

Post by EddyChong »

Hi Vitaliy,

Thanks for replying. I have not tried to use another domain administrator account.

I re-submmited the Virtual Lab request again but this time it works. Strange thing is I've tried many times before this and it has never succeed.
What i did this time was:
1) Submit Virtual Lab request
2) Approved the request
3) Virtual Lab ready
4) Instead of open the Virtual Lab via Virtual Lab Manager Console, i open surebackup job, right click on my ad server and select "Active Directory Restore"
5) Then i use the same domain administrator credentials and restore the deleted user. It works.
6) I remove the user again and restore the user again via Virtual Lab Manager console. And this time it works too.

There is no changes made to virtual lab setting, surebackup job and application groups. Only difference is i use another method to restore the user instead of using Virtual Lab Manager as usual. (step4-5)

I will try to run another Virtual Lab request later and test again.

Thanks
Eddy
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

What if you try the first scenario once again? Does it work?
EddyChong
Enthusiast

Post by EddyChong »

Hi Vitaliy,

I just done another testing today.

1) Setup a virtual lab
2) Sure Backup Job run successfully, and I again using 2nd scenario which is the simplified workflow based on Veeam U-AIR guide.
3) I right clicked on my AD and select Active Directory Item Recovery
4) Then came out a windows prompts for production AD and Backup AD's credential
5) I am currently logged in to Veeam Server as Domain Administrator account so I simply just select "Use the currently Logged on account" for both

6) Then the same error appeared.

7) I believe it must be permission issue and then i go back to the screen which allow us to enter the credentials, and i entered the credential of the domain administrator which i am using. And this time it works.

8 ) Then i repeated again step 5 and it fails...

This scenario does not involve submitting request via Virtual lab manager, I'll test it later.

Thanks
Eddy
EddyChong
Enthusiast

Post by EddyChong »

Hi Vitaliy,

Here is a quick update. I've tried again with Virtual Lab Request. And this time it works.

What i did:
1) Submit request via virtual lab manager, manually enter domain administrator credential instead of using the option "Use the currently logged on account" (I can't remember in my previous tests i had used this option)
2) And then the request was approved
3) Surebackup job ready, i open the ad object recovery wizard via Virtual Lab Manager
4) And this time the restoration of my user succeeded.

Yet, i've tried to use the "simplified workflow" again, using currently logged on account, and it fails.

Obviously it is something regarding my currently logged on account! it is same domain administrator though.

I believe this is just a small issue of mine environment since this is the first time you see this issue. Thanks for helping anyway!

Thanks
Eddy
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

EddyChong wrote:Yet, i've tried to use the "simplified workflow" again, using currently logged on account, and it fails.
I would suggest comparing debug logs from both cases, there must be some difference in the way the authentication is performed. You can ask our technical team for assistance with this task.
EddyChong
Enthusiast

Post by EddyChong »

Hi Vitaliy,

Sure! I'll try to contact technical support tomorrow and post the update here.

Thanks
Eddy