Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
tsauter
Novice
Liked: never

Deduplication Question

Post by tsauter »

Hi,

I have one question regarding the deduplication feature (version 7). Is the deduplication calculated calculated through all backups in a backup repsitory or just only within the members of a job?
Does this mean, if I delete a complete job from a repository I will loose all other backups too because these jobs might need blocks from other backups?

Thanks for clarifiy this for me.

Regards,
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Deduplication Question

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,
tsauter wrote:Does this mean, if I delete a complete job from a repository I will loose all other backups too because these jobs might need blocks from other backups?
No, you will not lose anything. Dedupe is per job, not per repository.

Thanks!
tsauter
Novice
Liked: never

Post by tsauter »

Do you known the section of the manual where this is explained or sepcified?
Two of our software vendors claim that the dedup is always over the complete storage.

If the dedup is only per backup job, this means, if I write the contents of the CIFS share to a tape drive (not with veeam) I only need to restore the content of the job directory?

Thank you!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You can review additional information in our sticky F.A.Q. > http://forums.veeam.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 633#p95276

In addition to this, there are some details in our online help center > http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/70/v ... uplication
tsauter wrote:If the dedup is only per backup job, this means, if I write the contents of the CIFS share to a tape drive (not with veeam) I only need to restore the content of the job directory?
Yes, that's correct. You will need to restore VBK + VRB/VIB files to restore VM data.

Hope this helps!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Also, there has been a topic regarding the way deduplication mechanism works; might be helpful. Thanks.