Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cparker4486
Expert
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Chris

Feature Request: Add label to Backup Copy archive files

Post by cparker4486 »

Hello,

This may be a problem unique to me but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway. I don't know how to identify which archive schedule a given VBK was generated by in a Backup Copy job.

I recognize that there is potential for putting too much metadata in a filename but I'd like to see a delimiter added to the VBK filename of archived backups. This could be as little as one extra character per archived file.

Right now I have an archived file called "Tier 1 Copy_clone12013-12-10T03000.vbk". It was last written to on 2013-12-21. With just that information I do not know which of the four possible archive schedules this file belongs to. With the addition of a single character, however, I can know at-a-glance. I believe it should go at the end of the filename because then it will not break sorting.

* W - Weekly
* M - Monthly
* Q - Quarterly
* Y - Yearly

new: "Tier 1 Copy_clone12013-12-10T03000W.vbk"
-- Chris
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: Feature Request: Add label to Backup Copy archive files

Post by Gostev »

Hi Chris, you have probably missed this, but in fact we do exactly this already, except we provide this information next to the restore point description in the backup properties. Would this be sufficient, or you still like to see this in the file name? Thanks.
cparker4486
Expert

Post by cparker4486 »

Hi Gostev,

It took me a while to find it but I see what you're saying. (Honestly, I don't know if I've ever looked at these screens before.) What does 'R' stand for?

I think having it in the file itself could be fairly beneficial anyway because it make managing these files by script easier. Another reason is that I think it is rather likely that they will become separated from B&R's ability to manage them. I imagine myself coming back to these files, after a few years of automation, and wondering, "What retention period was this file created from?" Having to go back in to B&R to get the answer may not be possible (for whatever reason).

Finally, it looks like the Retention value is not available from Get-VBRRestorePoint. Is it? If it were I could work around this issue and rename the files in my script. On second thought, if Retention is not available in PowerShell, the best solution may be to just add that property. Then I could rename the files myself.
-- Chris
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

cparker4486 wrote:What does 'R' stand for?
'R' stands for 'regular', meaning that this restore point belongs to the simple retention backup chain (not GFS).
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Instead of Get-VBRRestorePoint, you should use GetStorages() parameter. The following script might be helpful. It lists backup files, along with their GFS types, creation times and paths:

Code: Select all

asnp VeeamPSSnapin
$Job = Get-VBRJob -name "Name of your backup copy job"
$Backup = Get-VBRBackup -name $Job.name
$Backup.GetStorages() | where {$_.GFSPeriod -eq "None"} | Select-Object -Property @{N="Creation Time";E={$_.CreationTime}}, @{N="GFS Type";E={$_.GFSPeriod}}, @{N="File Path";E={$_.FilePath}} 
$Backup.GetStorages() | where {$_.GFSPeriod -eq "Weekly"} | Select-Object -Property @{N="Creation Time";E={$_.CreationTime}}, @{N="GFS Type";E={$_.GFSPeriod}}, @{N="File Path";E={$_.FilePath}} 
$Backup.GetStorages() | where {$_.GFSPeriod -eq "Monthly"} | Select-Object -Property @{N="Creation Time";E={$_.CreationTime}}, @{N="GFS Type";E={$_.GFSPeriod}}, @{N="File Path";E={$_.FilePath}} 
$Backup.GetStorages() | where {$_.GFSPeriod -eq "Quarterly"} | Select-Object -Property @{N="Creation Time";E={$_.CreationTime}}, @{N="GFS Type";E={$_.GFSPeriod}}, @{N="File Path";E={$_.FilePath}} 
$Backup.GetStorages() | where {$_.GFSPeriod -eq "Yearly"} | Select-Object -Property @{N="Creation Time";E={$_.CreationTime}}, @{N="GFS Type";E={$_.GFSPeriod}}, @{N="File Path";E={$_.FilePath}} 
Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

R = Recent
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

cparker4486 wrote:I think having it in the file itself could be fairly beneficial anyway because it make managing these files by script easier. Another reason is that I think it is rather likely that they will become separated from B&R's ability to manage them. I imagine myself coming back to these files, after a few years of automation, and wondering, "What retention period was this file created from?" Having to go back in to B&R to get the answer may not be possible (for whatever reason).
Discussed with the devs and looks pretty simple to add, so we will likely implement this in the next release.
cparker4486
Expert

Post by cparker4486 »

Glad to hear it. Thanks.
-- Chris