Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
akirax
Lurker
Liked: never

WAN Acceleration and Fast WAN

Post by akirax »

Testing Veeam on trial key, so far I like what I see. Two questions.

1. In a Hyper-V 2012R1 clustered environment, is there any benefit to using the WAN accelerator feature in v7 if you already have a fast WAN connection, say 10Gbps.

2. Also, with a 10Gbps WAN connection in mind, on the Advanced Settings, Traffic tab in a replication job, is Optimal still the best setting for Compression or should it be None since the WAN is already fast? And would a fast WAN affect the what is selected on the Storage Optimization setting also?

Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Re: WAN Acceleration and Fast WAN

Post by Gostev »

Hello!

1. No, there will be no benefit unless your WAN is heavily congested with other traffic already, with less than 100Mbps left for Veeam activity.

2. Normally you want to have Optimal compression enabled regardless of how fast your WAN is, as this reduces the amount of data that needs to be moved around. I don't expect it to reduce performance even on the fast links. However, you can play around with it and see what works best for you.

As for Storage Optimization setting, considering 10Gb Ethernet you should use Local setting for the fastest performance.

Thanks!