Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
smackie1973
Novice
Liked: never

Backup & Replication issue

Post by smackie1973 »

Hi

Just joined the forum and looking for some help.
Only been using Veeam 4 for a week, so aplogies in advance for any noddy questions :oops:

When running either a backup or replication task, it goes through the usual checks: -
Creating Snapshot
Retrieving VM File info
Backup up file "blah-flat.vmdk"

I then get a Windows - No Disk error prompt
Exception processing message C0000013 parameters blah blah blah
Cancel Try Again Continue

If i hit continue, i get the same prompt another 3 or 4 times, then the job continues as normal. Not much good when trying to schedule an over night run :(

The first couple of jobs i tried were ok, but any since have the error above. I have tried replicating different VM's running on different hosts, but all have the same error.

I have 4 ESX 3.5 U4 servers in a single cluster and am using Veeam 4, which is running on a virtual machine (win 2003 SP2 x86)

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Backup & Replication issue

Post by Gostev »

This is the first time I see this error in 2 years :) Please contact support at support@veeam.com and email all logs from Help | Support Information, as this is not the type of issue I will be able to assist in troubleshooting.

My guess is that you are using SAN mode and there is something really wrong with your HBA.
smackie1973
Novice

Post by smackie1973 »

Heh heh, how typical :roll:

Interesting point about the HBA, and yes i am using SAN mode. I'll vmotion the veeam server to another ESX host and try some more tests before e-mailing support.

For info, the VM's i am replicating a just standard C: drives of 20Gb.

Thanks
smackie1973
Novice

Post by smackie1973 »

vMotioned the veeam server to another host and got the same error. Have also tried to backup a linux VM, again with the same error. I am going to re-install before escalating to veeam support.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

I just noticed you are running SAN mode with Veeam Backup installed in Windows 2003 VM. So, I am assuming are you using Microsoft iSCSI Software initiator, and iSCSI storage? Have you noticed the known issue around using this configuration in the Release Notes document?
VMDoug
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Post by VMDoug »

This came in via Twitter today, not sure if it's the same issue or not...

Built a testVM for Veeam. the server i installed Veeam on kept giving me "Windows - No disk exception" errors...when doing a backup with Veeam. removed the floppy drive and errors gone. weird. http://bit.ly/8oPA0g
jroot
Influencer
Full Name: Jim Root

Post by jroot »

We got the same error even after removing the Floppy drive and CD-ROM drive from the configuration. As a gut check, we made sure that we had double checked the entire configuration. After multiple re-checks, we realized that we had never clicked the "Exclusions..." button on the Virtual Machines dialog for a New Backup Job. On the VM Disks tab, it defaults the VM disks to process to All disks, yet there were two Selected disks checked; SCSI (0:0) and SCSI (0:1). The servers we were testing our backups with only had one disk. So on the off chance that it was trying to find SCSI (0:1), we selected Disk 0:0 only and checked Remove excluded disks from VM configuration.

We re-ran the jobs and they concluded successfully without the error. I wouldn't call that a bug but unexpected behavior from the default values. Was this documented somewhere that I missed? That assumes any of us read all the documentation before we started. :wink:
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Jim, no this is not a known issue and it has not been reported before (while disk exclusion feature was introduced 2 major releases ago). The disk selection you are talking about is ignored in case if the default "Process all disks" option is selected. This makes me think that the issue might be connected with specific to VM, may be some special or corrupted VM configuration uncovers this bug.

If you'd like to investigate this further please open a support case and provide our staff with full logs from Help | Support information.
jroot
Influencer
Full Name: Jim Root

Post by jroot »

Gostev, see ticket ID#521701 started yesterday. No special configurations. I used two scratch built single drive configurations for the first two guest tests and two imported guests from a MS Virtual Server 2005R2 farm. We are running ESXi 4.0.0 build-208167 on each host. Veeam is running as a guest one of the hosts. The test were performed on guests on different hosts but the targets were the same linux JBOD backup server (Lime unRAID Server Pro v.4.4.2 - 9.5TB). Logs were attached to the case. I can email logs of the successful runs without errors if you want to look at differential data. Let me know.
rgs3
Enthusiast
Full Name: Richard Shilling

Post by rgs3 »

I received the exact same message several times today. Just started today, nothing has changed.
If a fix is found, please post.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Richard,

Please contact our support team directly for assistance. I'm not sure there is a fix for that, as all the issues above were infrastructure specific. Anyway if you could help us to dig into the problem, we might find out what is causing such a behavior for Veeam backup.

Thank you!