PowerShell script exchange
Joel_Miller
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Joel Miller

Ad-Hoc SQL Server Database Backups

Post by Joel_Miller »

We are still in the process of migrating to using Veeam as our primary and only backup system. One thing that I identified today that might be an issue is that with Veeam we can create pre-defined jobs and I can use Powershell to kick them off. However, I do no see a way to run a script that will allow me to tell Veeam to just back up one database right now so I can have Veeam restore it quickly on another server.

It seems great at setting up jobs and running those on a regular basis and allowing me to restore them on an ad-hoc basis, but I do not see anything to allow for ad-hoc 'I want to back up this database right now'.

Are there any options for ad-hoc backups? I know it might be possible to create a backup job for every single database individually. We have too many to have us set that up. I am looking for something more ad-hoc.

Thanks!
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Re: Ad-Hoc SQL Server Database Backups

Post by ejenner »

Fact is, if you want to target an individual database you will never be able to avoid identifying it. Whether you do that as one big configuration task where you go through and configure individual jobs for all the databases in one big session, you add it to the task-list for when you're creating a new database or if you specify it at the time that you do the ad-hoc backup... Having to specify the individual database is inevitable.

I think the most pain-free route to enabling this sort of functionality is to create a template you can use to do your ad-hoc backup. When ready to do it, you set the name of the database at that point. As I said, I think it's unavoidable if you want to be specific... so the most pain-free way of doing it is to specify at the time you do the backup.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Ad-Hoc SQL Server Database Backups

Post by veremin »

There is no way to backup particular DB on demand - on demand backup (or Quick backup as we call it) works on VM level.

You can set up SQL transaction log backup job, however, and backup DB logs on regular basis. In case of disaster you can simply replay those logs via VB&R to restore SQL db to whatever point-in-time state you want to.

Thanks!