PowerShell script exchange
FrancWest
Veteran
Liked: 93 times
Full Name: Franc

Cleanup orphaned VIB files

Post by FrancWest »

Hi,

[case #04510428] for some reason we have the situation that sometimes .VIB files aren't being cleanup. Currently we have in all our backup folder about 7TB of redundant .vib files which do exists on the filesystem, but are visible in the GUI under backups. Is there a script available to clean up these vib files? I can do it manually, but this has to be done very carefully, since we would need to compare the filenames in the backup properties with those on the filesystem.

Is there some script available that can do this automatically? So retrieve a list of the needed files from the veeam databases and remove the orphaned ones (or first move them outside the repository) from the filesystem?

Franc.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Cleanup orphaned VIB files

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
Currently we have in all our backup folder about 7TB of redundant .vib files
can you maybe describe "redundant"? Unfortunately I cannot see the screenshots of the support case.
but are visible in the GUI under backups
is it possible that a "not" is missing here?

Best regards,
Hannes
FrancWest
Veteran

Post by FrancWest »

Hi Hannes,

well, on the file system there are much more .vib files present than shown in the GUI for some jobs. And indeed 'not' is missing. So the gui shows the files that are part of the job. Inside the job folder on the disk, there are much more .vib files present in some of the job folders. Mostly with a file-date older than the oldest restore-point.

I've manually cleaned-up one job folder to test and did a re-scan of the repo and that works, no files are being reported missing. But it's quite a hassle to do that manually and you have to do that very carefully. Of course I first moved them out of the job folder, did a rescan, looked at the the gui to see if it reported files from the job missing. If not, I deleted the files I moved outside the job folder permanently to clean up disk-space.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

okay, thanks for the fast answer.

I already asked support to check your logs again and try to find out why that happens. As you say it happens "sometimes", we need to fix that.
FrancWest
Veteran

Post by FrancWest »

Support mentioned some possible causes (AV, manually editing), but didn't determine what the issue was. After that the case was closed. I've implemented the necessary AV exclusions.

But is there some script available that does the comparison between the database and the filesystem and cleans up the files on filesystem? Support wasn't aware of such a script.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

no, there is no existing script.

But I hear it from time to time that Veeam do not "clean up". The other cases I checked were caused by people doing manual file deletions or just the unchecked "remove deleted items data after..." setting.

So I'm hoping to find something else here.
FrancWest
Veteran

Post by FrancWest »

Ok, the unchecked ‘remove deleted...’ doesn’t apply in my case. I have .vib files from VMs that are still being back upped which are left behind.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

and just a guess... you are not using capacity tier with immutability and REFS on your performance tier (because there is one known issue exactly for this setup)?
FrancWest
Veteran

Post by FrancWest »

Hi,

No, we are not. The SOBR currently only exists of a single ReFS extent. We will be adding a S3 extent in the next weeks. There are .vib files left behind long before we created the sobr.