PowerShell script exchange
mmwimmer
Lurker
Liked: never

Export mailboxes from Exchange backup in distinct pst files

Post by mmwimmer »

Hi,
I'm trying to export all of our mailboxes from a backup a while back into distinct pst files (one per mailbox). We are using Exchange 2010 (I know...) and Veeam 9.5.
So far, I have been trying to do this via PowerShell as the GUI only allows exporting into one single pst file (which I will use if there is no other way).

Is it at all possible to do this for on-premise Exchange servers? I'm asking because it looks like PowerShell needs to access port 9194, which is open on the firewall, but does not answer:

Code: Select all

Start-VBOExchangeItemRestoreSession : Could not connect to net.tcp://127.0.0.1:9194/ArchiverExchangeService. The connection attempt lasted for a time span of 
00:00:01.0065232. TCP error code 10061: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:9194. 
At line:1 char:1
+ Start-VBOExchangeItemRestoreSession -LatestState
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Start-VBOExchangeItemRestoreSession], EndpointNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.ServiceModel.EndpointNotFoundException,Veeam.Exchange.PowerShell.Cmdlets.RestoreSession.StartVBOExchangeItemRestoreSession

The second issue I am running into is running Start-VBOExchangeItemRestoreSession with a certain restore point from 4 weeks ago. If I try to run the following commands, I receive a conversion error:

Code: Select all

$restorepoint = Get-VBRBackup -name "Weekly" | Get-VBRRestorePoint -name "XXX Exchange" | Where-Object CreationTime -clike "*21*"
### because I can't seem to look for a specific date due to european date format, but this returns just a single restore point
echo $restorepoint ### to make sure
Start-VBOExchangeItemRestoreSession -RestorePoint $restorepoint

Start-VBOExchangeItemRestoreSession : Cannot convert 'System.Object[]' to the type 'Veeam.Archiver.PowerShell.Shared.IVBORestorePoint' required by parameter 
'RestorePoint'. Specified method is not supported.
At line:5 char:51
+ Start-VBOExchangeItemRestoreSession -RestorePoint $restorepoint
+                                                   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Start-VBOExchangeItemRestoreSession], ParameterBindingException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CannotConvertArgument,Veeam.Exchange.PowerShell.Cmdlets.RestoreSession.StartVBOExchangeItemRestoreSession

Any ideas or am I completely wrong about my planned procedure?
Thanks!
MichaelCade
Veeam Software
Liked: 74 times
Full Name: Michael Cade

Re: Export mailboxes from Exchange backup in distinct pst fi

Post by MichaelCade »

That PowerShell reference you are using is for Veeam Backup for Office 365 so i dont think that will work at all especially with Exchange 2010, would potentially work with Exchange 2016 on premises but the file format is completely different to what we do within Veeam Backup & Replication.

As far as i can see i cannot see any PowerShell reference for the Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Exchange.

However you can within Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Exchange select the mailbox and export them out at either the full mailbox edb or you granular to user mailbox and even individual mail items.

Note the Important section here - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95
Regards,

Michael Cade
Global Technologist
Veeam Software
Email: Michael.Cade@Veeam.com
Twitter: @MichaelCade1
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 291 times
Full Name: Max

Re: Export mailboxes from Exchange backup in distinct pst fi

Post by Regnor »

Not a solution to your problem, but if you need this export only once then I would spinup your exchange (with AD) in a virtual lab and export all mailboxes there via PowerShell.