PowerShell script exchange
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Get-VBRReplica waits too long if Cloud Connect Provider is unavailable

Post by soncscy »

Checked this in v11 (RTM), and tried to search a bit but couldn't find a topic on it, but maybe this is something for some improvement?

Get-VBRReplica will wait for a long time if you have a Veeam Cloud Connect Provider added but it's unreachable for any particular reason.

If the VeeamPowershell.log file is really tracking the powershell activity, I can see that it's because when executed, the cmdlet looks to have a function that tries to poll the Provider, presumably for Cloud Connect Replicas. I only noticed this as I was working on some script on our test box which had a defunct provider we no longer were testing with still added. I can see this happening when a provider is having issues for example or if there's a routing issue, etc, and it's just a bit black-boxish and unpleasant. :)

As I see it, it's how the cmdlet is supposed to function (it fetches all replicas after all), so doesn't seem to be a bug at all, just an undesirable situation, and maybe there's a bit of a better solution than such a long hang?

Some thoughts:

- Make Cloud Connect Replicas a parameter not as default behavior; this seems most reasonable for me as even if the connection was live, I don't really want to add the wait for info on the Cloud Connect Replicas if I don't have to and I don't want to have to pipe the output to exclude Cloud Connect Replicas if I just want local ones.
- Revisit why the connection to the provider is necessary on the Get-VBRReplica stage; I would imagine that the relevant data necessary at the time of the cmdlet should be no more than a simple database entry (Status, number of RPs, etc, should all be there)
- Greatly shorten the timeout on connecting to the provider; if it must stay, then we can shorten this for sure? If it's not responding in like 30 seconds, return unavailable by default and include a -WaitForProviderTimeout parameter or something so we can decide what is a reasonable amount of time before declaring the provider unreachable.

All things being equal, I think just separating Cloud Connect Replicas out to a parameter would be best to limit the scope of the cmdlet.
jhoughes
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 112 times
Full Name: Joe Houghes

Re: Get-VBRReplica waits too long if Cloud Connect Provider is unavailable

Post by jhoughes »

Have you tried filtering with the Type parameter?

If you use that parameter with a type of 'Local', does it still appear to hang?
Husband, Father, Solutions Architect, Geek Extraordinaire | @DenverVMUG, @AustinVMUG & @ATXPowerShell leader | VMware vExpert | Cisco Champion