PowerShell script exchange
brupnick
Expert
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Brian Rupnick

Include Job Name in Get-VBRRestorePoint

Post by brupnick »

Good morning-

Is there a way to run Get-VBRRestorePoint for a particular VM and have it return the name of the job that created the point? I'm trying to create a report that will give me the number of restore points for all the VMs in my environment. I'm using VMware tags to build my jobs, so I don't know the name of the job that a particular VM is in without running Get-VM to pull the tags. Unfortunately, running Get-VM for every VM in my environment is very slow and if I can get this from Get-VBRRestorePoint, it will save me quite a bit of time.

Any other suggestions are also welcomed.

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Include Job Name in Get-VBRRestorePoint

Post by veremin »

Try the following script:

Code: Select all

Get-VBRRestorePoint | select name, {$_.FindSourceJob().name}
Thanks.
brupnick
Expert

Post by brupnick »

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

Now is there a quicker way to get the number of restore points for a particular VM? Right now, I'm using this

$(Get-VBRRestorePoint -Name "SERVERNAME").Count
and it takes about 25 seconds to execute. With over 1,000 servers in my environment, you can see how this would be problematic. Ultimately, I'm looking to create a report that shows all the VMs in my environment along with the number of VBR restore points available.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Besides counting actual restore points, nothing comes from the top of my head. As a side option, you can take a look at Veeam ONE (part of Availability Suite) that has reports you're looking for.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler » 2 people like this post

brupnick wrote:Now is there a quicker way to get the number of restore points for a particular VM? Right now, I'm using this

$(Get-VBRRestorePoint -Name "SERVERNAME").Count
and it takes about 25 seconds to execute. With over 1,000 servers in my environment, you can see how this would be problematic. Ultimately, I'm looking to create a report that shows all the VMs in my environment along with the number of VBR restore points available.
There are quite a number of ways to optimize, but one of the simplest is to minimize the number of times you have to call Get-VBRRestorePoint by just grabbing all of the points into a variable at once, so instead of your line above you would do:

$restorepoints = Get-VBRRestorePoint
Then you can get the counts for each VM by doing:

($restorepoints.Name -eq "SERVERNAME").Count
This will be much faster since you're calling Get-VBRRestorePoint only once and after that it's just using the in memory object. Of course there are even further optimizations you could potentially do. For example if you really only care about VM names and restore points counts you could load those directly into a hash table like so:

(Get-VBRRestorePoint).Name | group | %{$rpcounts = @{}} {$rpcounts[$_.Name] = $_.Count}
The name becomes the key for the hash table, and the resource point count is the value so accessing the number of restore points for any specific VM is very fast and easy:

$rpcounts["SERVERNAME"]
Now you can use this hash table to quickly and easily access the number of restore points for any give VM, or if you just wanted to output a nice sorted list of VM names and restore point counts you could do something like:

$rpcounts = $rpcounts.GetEnumerator() | Sort-Object Name
Which would generate output something like:

Name                           Value
----                           -----
Apache_Web                     22
dc01                           40
dc02                           55
exch01                         21
exch2013                       22
guac01                         14
it-vm01                        14
it-vm03                        14
it-vm04                        14
LAMP_vApp                      14
brupnick
Expert

Post by brupnick »

Tom, you are officially my new hero. What used to take 2+ hours is now down to 12 minutes thanks to you.

Here's what I ended up with, since I wanted to get the name of the job that processed the VM as well, and break them up as such:

Get-VBRRestorePoint | Select Name, @{N="Job Name";E={$_.FindSourceJob().name}} | Group Name,"Job Name" -NoElement | Sort Name
The one thing that I noticed with this is that FindSourceJob() only returns values for current jobs; if a VM exists because it was imported, the imported job name will not be returned (but the restore points will). Is there a better way to retrieve this information for all VMs, including those that have been imported?

Again, THANK YOU so much for your help.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

What if you try this code, instead:

Get-VBRRestorePoint | Select Name, @{N="Job Name";E={$_.FindBackup().Jobname}} | Group Name,"Job Name" -NoElement | Sort Name
Thanks.
brupnick
Expert

Post by brupnick »

Man, you guys are awesome. Thanks so much!!
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You're welcome. Don't hesitate to contact us, if other questions arise.