Modify Backup Copy Job

PowerShell script exchange

Modify Backup Copy Job

Veeam Logoby Gve » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:29 am

Hello
I would like to modify the source objects of an existing Backup Copy job
Actualy the job Contain : VM1, VM2
I would like to replace it directy by the Job "Backup Job VM"
The "Backup Job VM" contain the same VM but only with DATA disk :)

In PowerShell i'm able to suppress VM1 and VM2 but i don't be able to add the backup job (in order to link the job)

It's very important for me to modify and not delete the existing job, because there are a lot of data already sent.

Thanks.
Gve
Service Provider

Liked: never
Full Name: Guillaume

Re: Modify Backup Copy Job

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:35 pm

Before we actually proceed to scripting, can you elaborate on what you're trying to achieve? You have already created a backup copy job, selecting as its source backup job that processes only OS disks of VM1 and VM2. Now you want to replace the source job with the different backup job that process only DATA disks of the given VMs. If so, what is the idea behind having only part of VMs copied to secondary location, not the VMs as a whole? Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 970 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby Gve » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:12 pm

I want to modify backup scénario of one hundred clients. Backup copy of OS disk (to a VCP) is too bandwidth consumer (80% of daily increment is on OS disk !!) , so i want to remove only OS disk from backup copy.
To do that, i remove the OS disk from existing backup Job, an I create a new job with only OS disk
consequently i Have 2 Jobs
Backup Job OS
Backup Job DATA

I Have a "Backup COPY Job" with "VM1"
I would like to modify the "Backup Copy Job" in order to only send the DATA disk of VM. By replacing Source Object "VM1" by "Backup Job DATA"

If I delete and recreate the backup Copy Job with good Object (the DATA job and not the VM), i m not be able to remap backup on existing Cloud File by powershell :(, so i need to re send the complete DataDisk to the Cloud.
I must to do that remotely, i have remote Tools for executing PowerShell on clients serveurs.
Gve
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:46 pm

Currently, there is no way to add job objects to backup job via PowerShell - it's only possible during job creation (Add-VBRViBackupCopyJob). At least not something I'm aware of.

So, I think you'll have to delete existing jobs, re-create them via PS and let them finish their initial cycle.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Gve » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:16 am

Average intial cycle is 4 weeks...

If i keep the backup copy job with 'VM1" when the backup Copy start, it select the last restore point of VM1 by checking in all jobs ?
So if the Data disk Job is the last executed job, the backup copy select it ?
Si its ok ?
:)
Gve
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:55 am

So if the Data disk Job is the last executed job, the backup copy select it ?

Correct. A backup copy job will copy the result of the latest executed job. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby AlexL » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:19 am

It would be very nice to have this in powershell. In large environments it is often not feasable to create a new job and reapply each and every setting. Please add this to the wish list for a next release.

v.Eremin wrote:Currently, there is no way to add job objects to backup job via PowerShell - it's only possible during job creation (Add-VBRViBackupCopyJob). At least not something I'm aware of.

So, I think you'll have to delete existing jobs, re-create them via PS and let them finish their initial cycle.

Thanks.
AlexL
Enthusiast

Full Name: Alex

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:04 am 1 person likes this post

Your request has been counted. We'll definitely think about what can be done in this regard in one of the next product releases. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Return to PowerShell