Powershell snapin installation file in v9?

PowerShell script exchange

Powershell snapin installation file in v9?

Veeam Logoby Cragdoo » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:58 pm

Does anyone know where the Powershell snapin installation file(s) are now located?

In v7/v8 there were in the \backups of the installation media (as detailed here https://www.veeam.com/kb1489)

but I cannot find the them for v9
Cragdoo
Veeam Vanguard

Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Craig Dalrymple

Re: Powershell snapin installation file in v9?

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:22 pm

Starting from version 9, PowerShell snap-in is a part of Veeam Backup and Replication Server installation. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby nikods » Tue May 17, 2016 9:07 am

Hi,
How do I install power shell snap-in on host servers? I need it to reset block tracking on one VM via powershell and I need to do it on host server. I am using version 9 thanks in advance :-)
nikods
Novice

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dragan

Veeam Logoby PTide » Tue May 17, 2016 9:54 am

Hi,

I assume that you want to reset CBT using the script provided in this KB is that correct? If so then my question is whether you have already tried running that script and if you have then did it error out? To my knowledge you don't need veeam ps snapin to reset CBT. Please clarify.

Thank you.
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 246 times

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue May 17, 2016 2:06 pm

What platform are you talking about? vSphere or Hyper-V one? In the latter case, feel free to use this cmdlet. This commandlet can be executed directly from a backup server, so there is no need to install PS snap-in on a host server.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby tmoensted » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:23 am 1 person likes this post

Cragdoo wrote:Does anyone know where the Powershell snapin installation file(s) are now located?

In v7/v8 there were in the \backups of the installation media (as detailed here https://www.veeam.com/kb1489)

but I cannot find the them for v9

Hi Cragdoo
Maybe this can help you:
I downloaded the Veeam 9 install media, and just installed the "Backup & replication console" to my workstation.
This appears to also install the powershell stuff needed, as I am afterwards able to do
Add-PSSnapin VeeamPSSnapin
Connect-VBRServer -Server myveeamserver -Port 9392 -User myuser -Password mypassword

I dont know if this solves your particular issue, but all i wanted was to be able to communicate with Veeam through Powershell on my workstation :)

/Theis
tmoensted
Lurker

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Theis M√łnsted

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:33 am 1 person likes this post

That's exactly what I was trying to point out. In version 9 (and subsequent ones) PS snap-in is integrated in Veeam backup console and cannot be installed independently. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby bmcdonald » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:35 pm

Which is inconvenient as we wanted to script a process for our Ops team to use in order to add new and remove old servers from backup schedules without giving them access to the console or giving them admin rights into the console in order to perform the actions since there does not seem to be a way to just allow those two functions without it.

The reason for this is that our Ops team has handled this particular duty for a decade now and the desire it to keep process and duties as they are. So being able to install the Veeam PS module as a stand alone component would have resolved that.

So there are some cases where a stand alone install is desired, Any chance this can get re-visited?
bmcdonald
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Brian McDonald

Return to PowerShell