PowerShell script exchange
mrusk
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Mark Ruskell

PS restore of a Hyper-V folder

Post by mrusk »

Not sure if I reached the correct forum here but wondering if there is something in the works to enhance the powershell capabilities in Hyper V

Any updates on possibility of getting a PowerShell command to restore a windows folder from backup? The start-vbrwindowsfilerestore command just mounts the backup image to the c:\veeamflr folder for access to copy files off of it. I would like to get the benefits seem from the gui when copying a folder in a PowerShell command that would do the same thing.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: PS restore of a Hyper-V folder

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums. For powershell questions, you are right in the powershell forum :-)

It seems that you are looking for windows file restore (which is independent from the hypervisor).

I guess example 2 (Start-VBRWindowsGuestItemRestore) is doing exactly what you are asking for: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100

Best regards,
Hannes
mrusk
Novice

Post by mrusk »

Thank you Hannes!

One more point of clarification. Example 2 will work in a Hyper V despite the doucmentation referencing VMware specifc parameters (Resource Pools)

Thank you!
mrusk
Novice

Post by mrusk »

Also- Is there anyway to restore the folder to any location other than just the orignial backup location?

Thank you in advance for the assistance here!
jhoughes
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 112 times
Full Name: Joe Houghes

Post by jhoughes »

No, the 'Start-VBRWindowsGuestItemRestore' cmdlet will only let you restore to the original location with the option to keep or overwrite the existing data.
Husband, Father, Solutions Architect, Geek Extraordinaire | @DenverVMUG, @AustinVMUG & @ATXPowerShell leader | VMware vExpert | Cisco Champion
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
the resource pool is optional. I see no reason for your scenario to mount the backup to the virtual infrastructure.

I would go with the local mount
This cmdlet mounts the disks of the backed up VM(s) to the Veeam backup server or other server in your virtual infrastructure.
Best regards,
Hannes