PowerShell script exchange
mschwarzer
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Michael Schwarzer

Query vCenter for protected vm's

Post by mschwarzer »

Hello @ll,

while customers implementation becommes more and more complex i try to implement a trigger to query the amount of vm's protected by veeam and excluded by manual config.
Implementing some check like:

Code: Select all

Get-VM | Select Name,
    @{N='Protected';E={$_.CustomFields['com.vmware.vdp2.is-protected']}},
    @{N='By';E={$_.CustomFields['com.vmware.vdp2.protected-by']}}

i find the most instances updated corectly, but a hugh part of vm's is found, where the costom filed was not updated by the plugin or empty.
My question: is there a supported way of reinitializing this or can you point me in direction to troubleshoot this behavior? Supportcase needed?

With kind regards,
Michael
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Query vCenter for protected vm's

Post by veremin »

What plugin is meant here? And by custom fields you refer to Notes attribute? Thanks!
jhoughes
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 112 times
Full Name: Joe Houghes

Post by jhoughes » 1 person likes this post

Michael, you appear to be talking about the custom VM attribute set when a successful backup is completed.

This does not rely on any plug-in, it is through the direct integration from Veeam to vCenter, thus there is nothing to re-initialize. The action of setting this attribute should execute on every job run for each VM when a backup succeeds, and typically when it stops I have seen that the setting is no longer enabled in the job(s).

If your jobs are configured to set VM attributes, and the user account being utilized for vCenter connectivity has the appropriate permissions, then I would suggest opening a support case.
Husband, Father, Solutions Architect, Geek Extraordinaire | @DenverVMUG, @AustinVMUG & @ATXPowerShell leader | VMware vExpert | Cisco Champion
mschwarzer
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Michael Schwarzer

Post by mschwarzer »

Joe, thank you! This was exactly the hint i needed