PowerShell script exchange
JenHutchinson
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jen Hutchinson

SQL database restore issue due to inconsistent latest restore session information

Post by JenHutchinson »

Support case number 03946235

I'm restoring SQL databases using the powershell scripts that many other's have documented. It works great during the day, but I'm getting inconsistent results when I schedule several restores overnight. Below is the gist of my script without all the error checking and target data/log file setup steps.

question #1 - during the day, when I look at the 5 most recent restore points using Get-VBRApplicationRestorePoint, I get multiple restore points with the same CreationTime but different ids. Which of these restore points do I use and how do I change my cmdlet to pick up that specific restore point? I run my job after midnight and want the full database backups from yesterday's full/incremental backup job. Here's an example without all the IsExchange IsActiveDirectory etc. fields

Get-VBRApplicationRestorePoint -SQL -Name $SourceVM | Sort -Property CreationTime -Descending | select -First 4

IsSQL : True
CreationTime : 1/7/2020 10:13:42 PM
Type : Increment
Name : xxx my source vm
Id : 751efa1a-9541-49a2-a1f9-69da712220e1

Id : a7eb0380-bb81c-4177-8952-aa4d19345304

Id : 6e7de41e-5e02-4c2a-b528-1380f4af78cb

CreationTime : 1/6/2020 10:13:42 PM
Id : 1b8e4181-83d0-4661-9647-7dcb2a30e1e8

question #2 - I'm getting inconsistent restore points when the restores are running concurrently the backup copy job. How would this impact the Get-VBRApplicationRestorePoint cmdlet and how do I work around this? Maybe its the SQL application transaction log backup job and not the backup copy job, but something definitely changes the most recent available restore point. When I retest the next day, I get the expected restore point from the previous night.

Thanks
Jen

Generic restore script for a default SQL instance that works during the daytime. I'm a local admin, database admin and have Veeam admin privileges, so I don't have to add credentials to the restore step

$ErrorActionPreference = "stop"
Add-PSSnapin VeeamPSSnapIn
Import-Module Veeam.SQL.Powershell
[System.Reflection.Assembly]::LoadWithPartialName('Microsoft.SqlServer.SMO') | out-null

#parameter values for testing script changes
$SourceVM = "xxx"
$SourceDB = "xxx"
$TargetInstance = "xxx"
$VeeamServer = "xxx"
$BackupJob = "xxx"

Connect-VBRServer -Server $VeeamServer
$restore_point = Get-VBRApplicationRestorePoint -SQL -Name $SourceVM | Sort -Property CreationTime -Descending | Select -First 1
Start-VESQLRestoreSession -RestorePoint $restore_point[0]
$session = Get-VESQLRestoreSession

$database = Get-VESQLDatabase -Session $session[0] -Name $SourceDB

$SourceDBfiles = Get-VESQLDatabaseFile -Database $database
#$TargetDBfiles = xxx removed all the steps to initialize the target database data and log file names

$RestoreInterval = Get-VESQLDatabaseRestoreInterval -Database $database
$RestoreInterval.FromUtc
$RestoreInterval.ToUTC

Restore-VESQLDatabase -Database $database -Servername $TargetInstance -File $SourceDBfiles -TargetPath $TargetDBfiles -Force -RecoveryState Recovery

Stop-VESQLRestoreSession -Session $session
Disconnect-VBRServer
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 636 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Re: SQL database restore issue due to inconsistent latest restore session information

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

Hi Jen,

I cannot say for sure what cause such issues. Please keep working with our support engineer on your return as the points you shared here require advanced troubleshooting.

Thanks,
Oleg
JenHutchinson
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jen Hutchinson

Re: SQL database restore issue due to inconsistent latest restore session information

Post by JenHutchinson »

Super, thank you Oleg. How do I mark this post as closed or do I delete it?
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 636 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

Hi Jen,

You just did :wink:
Can you please share the outcome on how the issue was solved? In case somebody will google the same problem and encounter this thread.

Thank you,
Oleg