PowerShell script exchange
SteeleTek
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times

Start VM and Stop VM script

Post by SteeleTek »

Hello,

I am moving my Veeam B&R server and on my old one, I am using the following .BAT script to start/stop VM's for my backup jobs:

C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -NoLogo -executionpolicy Remotesigned -Command Add-PSSnapin VeeamPSSnapIn; Add-PSSnapin VMware.VimAutomation.Core; Connect-VIServer -Server ESXiHOST -user USERNAME -password PASSWORD; Start-VM -VM "VMNAME" -Server ESXiHOST

However, it gives the following errors:
Add-PSSnapin : The Windows PowerShell snap-in 'VMware.VimAutomation.Core' is not installed on this computer.
Connect-VIServer : The term 'Connect-VIServer' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet...
Start-VM : The term 'Start-VM' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet...

Even if I remove Add-PSSnapin VMware.VimAutomation.Core, it doesn't work. I opened a Veeam support ticket but they said the help they could provide is limited.

Please help!

Thanks!
jhoughes
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 112 times
Full Name: Joe Houghes

Re: Start VM and Stop VM script

Post by jhoughes »

You need to install PowerCLI on your new server, then you can change the following in your batch file and it should work:

'Add-PSSnapin VMware.VimAutomation.Core' should be updated to 'Import-Module VMware.PowerCLI'.

However, if PowerShell is higher than version 3 on the server then module auto-loading should take care of this, so I'd guess that you do not have PowerCLI installed, or it cannot be found in the PSModule path for some reason.
Husband, Father, Solutions Architect, Geek Extraordinaire | @DenverVMUG, @AustinVMUG & @ATXPowerShell leader | VMware vExpert | Cisco Champion