PowerShell script exchange
Bradly
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Brad Birdwell

Tape Backup - Change Tape to Free

Post by Bradly »

I am looking for a way to automate the mark as free command within Veeam tape backup. I have found some solutions on the forums but they don't seem to work in 9.5. What I would like to do is any tape that is online and does not have an active retention should be marked as free in my primary media pool. Basically when my tapes come back from offsite storage and are loaded in the library during the week I want them to automatically become free and available for backup without me having to login to Veeam daily to "Mark as Free."

I found this and it doesn't work
Get-VBRTapedrive | Start-VBRTapeInventory
Get-VBRTapeMedium -Online | Erase-VBRTapeMedium -confirm:$false

Tried a few others from these forums and they are not working for me either. I am a bit of a novice on this one so any help is appreciated.

Brad
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Tape Backup - Change Tape to Free

Post by veremin »

Before we proceed with scripting, may I ask you one question?
What I would like to do is any tape that is online and does not have an active retention should be marked as free in my primary media pool.
If a tape is online and does not have an active retention, it should be automatically re-used during next job cycle, so, what's the idea of marking it as free? Populate it to other jobs besides original one or something else?
Bradly
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Brad Birdwell

Post by Bradly »

It will use it but for some reason sometimes it does not overwrite the data on the tape. This causes me to have failed jobs because there is not enough space available on the media in the library.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

It will use it but for some reason sometimes it does not overwrite the data on the tape.
Looks unexpected, tape job performs short erase on expired tape before using it. So, it stands to reason to reach our support team and let them investigate it directly. Thanks.