PowerShell script exchange
TommyB
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Thomas Braun

Tape eject fails since latest update

Post by TommyB »

Hi,

I'm using a single drive backup hardware (no library) and a loong time ago, I created a script that allowed me to eject the active tape from my workstation after I get the "[Warning] Insert a tape to continue" email from the backup server.

So I didn't have to wait in front of the tape drive for the tape to eject but could walk to the safe, open it, get the new tape and then go to the server room to change the tape (which has meanwhile been ejected).

This worked perfectly until the latest 9.5 update.

Now, this silently fails with no error on the powershell console at all.

The VEEAM server log shows this error:
24.10.2017 14:27:10 Error Failed to eject tape FT_3.1 Error: All drives are busy in Hewlett Packard LTO Ultrium-4 drive
Even when ejecting via the VEEAM GUI, this fails with the same message. But the drive isn't "busy", it is waiting for the next tape... which is not what I would consider "busy", but "idle"

I'd rather have the old behaviour back - Is this something that can be changed by some registry tweak?

Thomas
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Tape eject fails since latest update

Post by veremin »

You're right, this change has been done on purpose, so that running tape job wouldn't be topped abruptly by external script.

In order to achieve the desired behavior, both checkboxes (eject & export) need to be enabled and set in accordance with your requirements.

Thanks.
TommyB
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Thomas Braun

Re: Tape eject fails since latest update

Post by TommyB »

OK, thank you!