PowerShell script exchange
pwalsh
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Paul Walsh

Update a VM attribute after a replica job.

Post by pwalsh »

Hey Guys.

Currently after a backup job Veeam updates a custom Virtual Machine field called Backup-Status with the backup job name and last successful backup, this option is set on the notification tab in the backup job properties.
No such option exists for replication, can you advise if its possible with a post job script to update a second Virtual Machine attribute field with replica job name and status for each VM in the replica job? and if so, how i might do this on Veeam 9.0.2

Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Update a VM attribute after a replica job.

Post by veremin »

Backup Job updates "Notes" attribute of Virtual Machine. You can emulate the very same behaviour by using VMware PowerCLI Set-VM commandlet with -Notes parameter in place. Thanks.
bruceb
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Bruce Barnett

[MERGED] Replicate the VM attribute field

Post by bruceb »

We're using the VM attribute field to notate on the production VMs when backups are taking place. Those VMs are then replicated offsite - some with source VMs, some with source backup files.

Is there any way to get the VM attribute field to replicate with the VM? I would like to be able to look at the same field on the target replica and see the point in time that the data was last captured, so we know what point in time we're at if we have to utilize the target replica VM.

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Bruce, there is no way to this out-of-the box, but you can try to use the solution suggested above by Vladimir.
alextan
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Alessandro Tanino

Post by alextan »

I'd like to have such functionality too.. as It's possible to set it up in Backup Jobs I don't see a reason for not having the same for Replication jobs.
In my case I'm migrating from SRM+VR to Veeam B&R 9.5u2 based replicas.
My concern is:
- With SRM I was seeing replicated VMs as "ghosts" (placeholders) ready to be activated by SRM. I could not accidentally power such replicated VMs
- With Veeam B&R, replicated VMs could be accidentally powered on. A possible solution is to append prefix or suffix like default _replica. But I don't like this solution as this is not being renamed in case of failover (Why not? ->feature req). However I'd like to use a custom attribute, or tag, to identify virtual machines that shouldn't be switched on. As I have a mapping 1-1 across datacenters, I don't even like to put all the VMs under a folder tree (i.e. replicated vms).

Any suggestion? Possible to implement custom attributes for replicated VMs? Or something similar to "ghost VMs"? Or a warning, when I try to power on such replicas like "Warning: this VM is being managed by Veeam server xxx".

Thank you