Veeam Satellite Process is not cleaned up

PowerShell script exchange

Veeam Satellite Process is not cleaned up

Veeam Logoby Talom » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:51 am

Hey Guys,

yesterday i noticed, when i'm cancelling my powershell script with CTRl+C the corresponding Veeam.Backup.Satellite process won't be killed.
My reporting scripts are sometimes cancelled automatically because of timeout or something else and after a few weeks i have a lot of satellite processes that are stuck in the task manager.
After a while my scripts just fail because of too many existing processes

Is this a bug in Veeam or can i write a cleanup script which cleans up unused satellite processes?
Talom
Influencer

Liked: 1 time

Re: Veeam Satellite Process is not cleaned up

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:59 am

Actually, the said process should have a pre-defined timeout (around 5 minutes, if I'm not mistaken) after which it should be killed. If you see a lot of stuck (not killed) Satellite Process, kindly, reach our support team for further investigation.

Within a ticket you can point out that the problem is not directly related to PowerShell, as support team do not take over tickets regarding non-working scripts, etc.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1052 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby yurixd » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:33 pm

Hello friend, I'm having this same problem in version 9.5. When running multiple jobs the Veeam.Backup.Satellite.exe process appears in excess, causing backups to fail.

when I finish these processes in the task manager the backups do again.

Have you come up with any solutions to this problem?
yurixd
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Yuri Santos

Job failed

Veeam Logoby yurixd » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:55 pm

Case # 02197424

Hello friends, the above case was initially referring to a warning message in the SQL and Oracle transaction log.

After a period began to occur in the job of backups where the engineer when analyzing my server found that there is memory leak in veeam, which is causing failures in backup jobs.
I also noticed that in some cases the veeam console is inaccessible on the server, it is necessary to restart the veeam service backup or to restart the server itself.
When I look at the task manager, I see excessive numbers in the Veeam.Backup.Sattelite process. By killing all processes leaving only 1 the backup job returns to normal operation.

Anyone have any suggestions on the problem? I have to daily run the backups by hand due to failure.

**it seems to me that the Veeam.Backup.Satellite process is finished in 5 minutes. something that is not happening.
yurixd
Lurker

Full Name: Yuri Santos

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:30 pm 1 person likes this post

Hi, Yuri,

Please, let's wait and see what support team says about the issue, once the debug logs are investigated.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby JRJenZen » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:26 pm

Any News On This, i'm an SP and we have hundreds of these causing customers backup to fail.
JRJenZen
Novice

Full Name: 7

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:33 pm

We've identified the root cause of this problem. The hotfix is currently being tested.

Since you're an SP, kindly, apply to Veeam Cloud Provider group, using Usergroup settings in the User Control Panel. This's needed to get access to dedicated cloud providers' forum. That is likely to be the first place where we will share news regarding hotfix availability.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Return to PowerShell