Management reporting and documentation
Jan1987
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jan Grimm

Capacity Planning shows different as SCVMM

Post by Jan1987 »

Hello

We have used the Capacity Planning for Hyper-V and wanted to check a Host Failure and when we add 2 new VM's.
The Report says here enough Memory for this 2 VMs and a Failover with 1 Host will work.

After Adding this VM's the SCVMM shows for the Cluster "overcrowd" (cluster is set to 1 Host that can failed). I have checked the Failover Report again and he says all is ok.

how does VeeamONE calculate the failure and adding new VMs? When i have 6 Nodes with 50GB Free Memory per Node is nice when shows 300GB free Memory. but when i have to move a 64GB in a Failover the cluster can not do this. Does VeeamOne calculates with the totally free memory?

best regards,
Jan Grimm
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Capacity Planning shows different as SCVMM

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Jan,
Could you specify how you were checking if you can use 2 new VMs?
How many Hyper-V hosts do you have, do they have different amount of CPU/Memory/Disk space? The Host Failure Modelling report simulates failure of random host unless you choose the exact one.
So from run to run report may choose different hosts thus you have different results.
Thanks!
Jan1987
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jan Grimm

Post by Jan1987 »

Hello Nikita

to check if i can add 2 more VMs: Reporter -> Workspace -> All Deployment Projects -> here i add a new project and set the cluster, disk and VM's.

For Host Failure i used Reporter -> Workspace -> Hyper-V Capacity Planning -> Host Failure Modelling -> Here i set "Number of failed hosts" to 1. i have tested random and specified failure and in both situation he shows me i have enough capacity. SCVMM shows i have not enough.

Hyper-V Cluster has 6 Nodes with Same CPU/Memory and Fiber Attached Storage.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Thanks for the clarification, Jan.
Have you tried to check result of both scenarios(+2 VMs & -1 host) in deployment projects?
SCVMM shows i have not enough.
Could you also clarify this? Do you make some sort of modelling in SCVMM? Have you actually added those 2 VMs into the infrastructure?
how does VeeamONE calculate the failure and adding new VMs? When i have 6 Nodes with 50GB Free Memory per Node is nice when shows 300GB free Memory. but when i have to move a 64GB in a Failover the cluster can not do this. Does VeeamOne calculates with the totally free memory?
If we are talking about the Host Failure Modelling report, it simply check how much resources(CPU, Memory, Disk) the VMs from the host, which is supposed to fail consume and if the defined thresholds will be reached after the VMs are moved to the other hosts of the cluster.