Management reporting and documentation
ravelin
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Kenneth Westergaard

Invoicing report for hosting veeam

Post by ravelin »

I need a report that tells me how much physical Space is used in my repository per job, and how many VM's per job.

We invoice customer for each vm, and theyre use of Space on our system.

Any ideas? Maybe its already there?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Invoicing report for hosting veeam

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Kenneth,

It's not there, but this report will be present in Veeam ONE v7, which should be available in Q3. Can you please tell me if there is any other backup report you would like to see in Veeam ONE?

Thanks!
ravelin
Veeam ProPartner

Post by ravelin »

If it is not already there, I hope the report can do it per job, and send an email to the customer.
In the same report, I would it to tell the customer, and I, of any VM's on the host, which are not being backed up. Preferably cross jobs. This way if some hosts are hourly backed up, it wont alert of non backedup VM's. Maybe report should be per host or cluster instead of job.

A report with a trend for when we will run out of physical disk space on the repository.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

ravelin wrote:A report with a trend for when we will run out of physical disk space on the repository.
This report is already available and is called capacity planning for backup repositories, please take a look.
ravelin
Veeam ProPartner

Post by ravelin »

Is there a report for Space used with and without dedup?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

No, but if you want to calculate how much space is consumed without deduplication you can calculate that on your own since dedupe factor is already known. Out of curiosity, can you please tell me what do you need these figures for?
ravelin
Veeam ProPartner

Post by ravelin »

Maybe we want to earn some extra revenue, invoicing based on raw data, rather that deduped :)
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I need a report that tells me how much physical Space is used in my repository per job
Just out of curiosity - what type of repository is it? CIFS share? Attached drive? Something else?

Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

ravelin wrote:Maybe we want to earn some extra revenue, invoicing based on raw data, rather that deduped
For that we will have another report, that will display how much data was changed (raw data) since the last backup job run. Basically, it will show you the number of changed blocks that was returned by VMware CBT.

Recently I've talked to one of our customers who uses this billing model for charging money from their customers, so I guess you will also find this report useful.
ravelin
Veeam ProPartner

Post by ravelin »

v.Eremin wrote: Just out of curiosity - what type of repository is it? CIFS share? Attached drive? Something else?

Thanks.
Sorry didnt see your response.
Its locally attached drives.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Its locally attached drives.
In this case you can to utilize the following PS script that outputs the storage space consumption per job being expressed in percentages. Moreover, the output can be later redirected to a given file, if need be:

Code: Select all

Foreach($Job in (Get-VBRJob | where {$_.jobtype -eq "Backup"}))
{
$DriveLetter = $Job.FindTargetRepository().Path.Substring(0,2)
$Backup = Get-VBRBackup -name $Job.name
If ($Backup -ne $null)
{
$BackupSize = [int64]($backup.GetStorages() | Select-Object -ExpandProperty stats | ForEach-Object {$_.backupsize} | Measure-Object -Sum).sum
$DiskCapacity = [int64](gwmi win32_volume -Filter 'drivetype = 3' |? {$_.driveletter -eq $DriveLetter}).capacity
$Job.name + " " + "storage space consumption" + " "+ "{0:N9}" -f ($BackupSize/$DiskCapacity*100) + "%"
}
}

The script provided above should work fine in case of locally attached drives.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
ravelin
Veeam ProPartner

Post by ravelin » 1 person likes this post

Thanks, I did my own like this:

$startFolder = "D:\Customers"

$colItems = (Get-ChildItem $startFolder | Measure-Object | Select-Object -ExpandProperty count)
"$startFolder -- " + "{0:N2}" -f ($colItems.sum / 1MB) + " MB"

$colItems = (Get-ChildItem $startFolder -recurse | Where-Object {$_.PSIsContainer -eq $True} | Sort-Object)

foreach ($i in $colItems)
    {
        $subFolderItems = (Get-ChildItem $i.FullName | Measure-Object -property length -sum -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue)
        $i.FullName + " -- " + "{0:N2}" -f ($subFolderItems.sum / 1MB) + " MB"
    }
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Yep, may also do the trick. However, it still might be useful to implement a part that will provide you with the information regarding what certain part of a corresponding drive is taken by a given job:

$startFolder = "D:\Customers"
$DriveLetter = $startFolder.Substring(0,2)
$colItems = (Get-ChildItem $startFolder | Measure-Object | Select-Object -ExpandProperty count)
"$startFolder -- " + "{0:N2}" -f ($colItems.sum / 1MB) + " MB"
$DiskCapacity = [int64](gwmi win32_volume -Filter 'drivetype = 3' |? {$_.driveletter -eq $DriveLetter}).capacity
$colItems = (Get-ChildItem $startFolder -recurse | Where-Object {$_.PSIsContainer -eq $True} | Sort-Object)
foreach ($i in $colItems)
    {
        $subFolderItems = (Get-ChildItem $i.FullName | Measure-Object -property length -sum -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue)
        $i.FullName + " -- " + "{0:N2}" -f ($subFolderItems.sum / 1MB) + " MB" + " {0:N4}" -f ($subFolderItems.sum/$DiskCapacity *100) + "%"
    } 
Thanks.
monsterlab
Novice
Liked: never

Post by monsterlab »

Hi Kenneth,

It's not there, but this report will be present in Veeam ONE v7, which should be available in Q3. Can you please tell me if there is any other backup report you would like to see in Veeam ONE?

Thanks!
Vitaliy S., This would be a huge feature for us. So you're saying that there will be a report in Veeam ONE v7 that will allow me to see the actual amount of space that my servers are using for backups AFTER dedupe and compression? Please say yes!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I wish I could, check my PM to you ;) Can you please share your scenario, so I could better understand on what you're trying to achieve with this report?