Management reporting and documentation
ortec-RW
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Richard Willkomm

Provisioned datastore capacity report mismatch ?

Post by ortec-RW »

Hi

Finally have some time to dive into the reports of VeeamOne to see if we can use them operationally and save time. Running Hyper-V for a year now.

I'd like to have a report that makes it easier to show the provisioned datastore capacity, compared to the actual capacity and free space. This will help with over-provisioning, planning and avoiding a datastore that suddenly fills up because of a VM using Dynamic storage is growing beyond what the datastore can actually contain and before the Veeam Alarm bells go off.

The build in DataStore Capacity Report does just that. It shows a column of Capacity, Free space and Provisioned space including a Ratio(%) for each Datastore. Perfect.
Well, not really......

I did a manual check of one Datastore which had a high Provisioning Ratio (%). I looked up the Dynamic disk sizes in HyperV. In my case they add up to 1665GB, where the Datastore is 2000GB. So no worries. It will fit, even when the Dynamic disks VHDX files grow to their maximum size.
But why does the report show 6000GB provisoned space and a ratio of 292% ? It should show something like 83%
I redid the math. Twice.
So what's happening here ?

It seems the report doesn't take into account that a VM can be spread across mutiple datastores. Which is what I have in my case. It only needs to add up the provisioned disks on that particular datastore for each VM. Not for disks of the same VM on another datastore.
When I do the math for the 2 VM's I have on that datastore, but only look at the total provisioned space of the VM, then they add up to 6000GB. But obviously that's not what I want.
Why do I spead VM's across mutiple datastores ? Why not ? This shouldn't matter.
Actually, what the report now does, is what SCVMM already does. Which is show a % of the VM's provionsed space in regards to the actual in use space. But for a VM that is spread across multiple datastores, I have no ease way of telling which datastore is about to be filled up. Untill the alarm goes of and it might be too late.

Anyone ran into the same issue, or knows of another way to track overprovisioning in HyperV ?

Greetings
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Provisioned datastore capacity report mismatch ?

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Richard and welcome to the community!

Thanks for the analytics you did.
Your assumption is correct, the report indeed counts VM disks from another datastores in Datastore Capacity(HV) and Over-provisioned Datastores(HV).
The bug is already fixed, the fix will be included in the next release.

For now you can contact the support team to get the hotfix for your current version.
ortec-RW
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Richard Willkomm

Post by ortec-RW »

Hi

Thanks for the update. I'll wait until the next update. Right now I'm sure the overprovisioning is not yet an issue so we can manage.

Greetings, Richard
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

I see your point.
you might be also interested in Hyper-V Optimization Reports.
Thanks!