undersized and oversized vm reports

Management reporting and documentation

undersized and oversized vm reports

Veeam Logoby jeremyh8 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:21 am

I am wondering why these reports dont use "active memory" when analyzing memory? I have vms that have a 8gb of memory allocated to them and less than 1gb of that memory is active. The report does not suggest reducing this vms memory. Also can someone explain how it decides if a machine is over/under provisioned? thanks
jeremyh8
Enthusiast

Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Jeremy Harrison

Re: undersized and oversized vm reports

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:49 am

Hi Jeremy,

Actually we ARE using VM Memory Usage (Active/Granted) metric in our reports.

VM is considered as under-sized when its average CPU/Memory usage is above 90%, besides you should have CPU Ready, Swap Out Rate metrics above the defined threshold too.

As to over-sized VMs, then we are looking at both average usage and peak resource utilization to give you VM sizing recommendations. Keep in mind that looking just on average usage cannot give you the true picture of VM resource utilization, as for example your accounting department might be using the VM heavily only once a week and you should keep allocated RAM, CPU on the same level to satisfy the resources demand during the busiest day of the week for this VM. In addition to this logic, we reserve 25% of available resources, so that your VM is not starving on CPU,Memory resources during peak hours.

If you want to dig deeper, I would suggest reviewing weekly resources utilization of this VM - check out average and peak CPU, Memory usage and other related performance metrics.

Hope this helps!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1102 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby jeremyh8 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:48 pm

at the top of my undersized report it says "consumed" for memory
at the top of my oversized it says "usage"
I dont see active memory. If veeam does not use the same terminology as vmware then is there a chart somewhere that defines veeam metrics?
jeremyh8
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:09 pm

Undersized report has a wrong column label, I will ask our dev team to fix it in the next update.

Usage is the correct term. Memory usage is calculated by dividing Virtual Machine Memory Active on Virtual Machine Memory Granted. Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby jeremyh8 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:02 am

5206668 is the case i opened with support. It appears that both reports may be using consumed memory metrics instead of memory usage. I will update this post when i have a resolution.
jeremyh8
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:42 am 1 person likes this post

Jeremy, let me double-check this information with our dev team also. I will post back when I have more details.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:16 pm 1 person likes this post

It seems like you were right, for the oversized VMs report "memory consumed" is used. While in most cases memory consumed might be "ok" to determine VM over-allocation, this approach will not work for SQL Server VMs which consume all the memory that has been allocated to them.

We'll update our reports with the new metrics in our next release, thanks for the heads up!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby kevinnaughton » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:20 pm 1 person likes this post

I have the same issue regarding Memory usage in the oversized VMs report. It seems to be the case for a SQL server (explained above) but also for my vCenter server and Veeam server. All show capacity, average usage, and peak usage as the same as what is provisioned for those VMs. Is it because all have SQL or SQLExpress running on them? Any ETA on the correction for this?
kevinnaughton
Enthusiast

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Kevin Naughton

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:40 pm 1 person likes this post

kevinnaughton wrote:Is it because all have SQL or SQLExpress running on them?

Correct.
kevinnaughton wrote:Any ETA on the correction for this?

This report will be corrected in our next update which is scheduled to Q4.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby keithkleiman » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:34 pm

We have 2000 vms in our environment. According to the undersized report it suggests that 1940 of them are undersized due to vRAM. This does not appear to make much sense to me, but could someone clarify how I should be using this report? Is memoryConsumedMB the correct metric that should be used for this type of a report? I know that the amount actually used within the guest OS of these vms have plenty of available memory. I am using Veeam 6 within a SCOM 2012 environment. Thanks!
keithkleiman
Enthusiast

Liked: never
Full Name: Keith Kleiman

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:50 am

Keith,

Are you using our Management Pack for SCOM or Veeam ONE to detect undersized VMs? Our report is using VM average resource consumption/swap rate/CPU ready metrics to detect whether you're oversized or undersized. What type of VMs do you have? Do you host lots of SQL Servers?

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby keithkleiman » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:04 pm

I am using the mp for Veeam 6. We have some SQL servers, but not that many. Most of these systems have plenty of available memory according to the guest OS.
keithkleiman
Enthusiast

Liked: never
Full Name: Keith Kleiman

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:59 pm

Keith,

The reason why VMs can be reported as undersized could be the following:

1. The peak usage during the past period + 25% of headroom > then currently configured value.
2. SQL Server VMs will always consume all the memory you allocate to these VMs, so the best way to check its sizing is to use all these metrics (Active Memory, Consumed Memory and In-Guest Memory usage).
3. You can disregard the headroom that we add to the RAM configuration and then check VM configurations against our recommendations.

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby samh22a » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:48 pm

Is this working with hyperv as well ? If not, any eta

In the doc, it says zombie vm and other right sizing reports are only available with vmware

Thx
samh22a
Service Provider

Liked: 2 times

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:09 pm

Hi Sam,

There reports are not currently available for Hyper-V, we are looking into possibility of adding these reports in our upcoming versions. Can you please tell me what TOP 5 reports you would like to see in Veeam ONE?

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Next

Return to Reporting